+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, if i change the password complexity what happens to the accounts that dont match in Technical; Hi i need to up the security by force as members of staff just dont care! i am going to ...

Thank Post

if i change the password complexity what happens to the accounts that dont match

Hi i need to up the security by force as members of staff just dont care! i am going to switch on the password complexity but before i do i want to know what will happen to the accounts that dont meet these settings after i have done it?

Also is there any thing you think i should know or consider before i do this.

cheers

Thank Post
    Nothing, until they come to do a password renewal (either manual or every X days). Then they'll have to use a password that complies with the restrictions.

Make sure you tell the users why you're doing it, when you're doing it, the implications for them and get SMT support.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhchs View Post
    Hi i need to up the security by force as members of staff just dont care! i am going to switch on the password complexity but before i do i want to know what will happen to the accounts that dont meet these settings after i have done it?
    Passwords changed after you enable it will enforce requirements, that is all.

Also is there any thing you think i should know or consider before i do this.
    Make sure SMT are unanimously behind you, and give your staff one months notice and a one-week reminder that you're going to enable it. Make sure you explain to them exactly what the requirements will be and why they are being imposed. Give some examples of how to construct good passwords and take the opportunity to remind them about good password habits (not writing them down, not just changing a number to make a new one, etc). Do all of this in writing so that if there is a backlash (and there will be) you can't be accused of doing it on the sly, and you can point to SMT and ask the complainant to take it up with them.

Force the change in batches (ten a day or so) so that it's manageable. If you're going to have a maximum password age, set this before doing any forced changes so that staff don't have to change their password twice in a short time.

Stock up with coffee, prepare to be unpopular for a while and click that button

Thank Post
    Also is there any thing you think i should know or consider before i do this?

If i remember correctly, if you are creating a new/updated password policy, you will be doing this for all users including students.

I think a "2008 domain level" lets you have different password policies for different user groups.

Can anyone please confirm?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread