+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, DC C: Drive almost full in Technical; ...

Thank Post

DC C: Drive almost full

Hi

Due to the former ICT Manager of this school, the C: drive of our Domain Controller now only has 1GB of space!

When I took over here, this DC in question had a huge role. It used to host home folders, shared areas...even RIS!!! (As well as performing its duty as one of 2 active directory servers)

Now, all the roles have been taken away from this server apart from it being a domain controller. This has left me with loads of space on the other partitions...but, the C: Drive has remained the same size (as nothing has been un-installed from it)

My question is this...how would you go about correcting this issue? Would you use disk partitioning software to merge the partitions? As itís on a server (and the main DC at that), would you have the confidence to do this?

I've already deleted loads of un-needed stuff form the Windows folder in order to save whatever space I can...but Iím at the limit as to what I can remove now.

All ideas welcome.

Thanks
    Aaron

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I would ensure you have a full back up of the dc and then try. or if you have any virtual host's create a new vm and then just promote this one and demote the old one.

Toby

Thank Post
    I'm in the same boat - but it's not the previous netman's fault..

less than 500MB available on most servers!!! When setup, the C partition was only 10GB

Thank Post
    You could make another DC the PDC and then, if all the roles are removed from this server, do a dcpromo to remove the server from the role of DC allowing you to reformat / partition the hard-drive .. I certainly wouldn't go messing with the file tables and repartitioning with it as an active DC ..

This article should help with the transfer if you're unsure .. How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003

EDIT:
    Just make sure one of your other machines runs the Global Catalogue too before you do demote it! - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313994

Thank Post
    I did manage to find an old version of Partition magic that would have worked.
    But I haven't been brave enough yet to give it a go

Thank Post
    I had the same trouble when I started here. I made sure I had a good backup and used PMagic to resize the partitions on two servers. One worked perfectly, the other didn't and I had to restore my dc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not only me had / have this problem then!

Seems to be a pretty common thing with servers set up by manufacturers - Dell for example were setting the OS on a 12GB partition; I don't know what they do now but that was certainly the case 18months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    I'm in the same boat - but it's not the previous netman's fault..

less than 500MB available on most servers!!! When setup, the C partition was only 10GB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Not only me had / have this problem then!

Seems to be a pretty common thing with servers set up by manufacturers - Dell for example were setting the OS on a 12GB partition
    Exactly .. seems that "12GB .. that's fine for the basic install and updates for a couple of years" and then expect you to run everything else from the other partitions .. which for things like WSUS ok, that would make sense to, but there just seems to be little or no planning involved from manufacturers when they do supply them with stupidly small System partitions .. I've just redone both out 2003R2 servers over the Easter break to ensure that there was a better amount of space on the system drives ..

9. Thanks to soveryapt from:

speckytecky (28th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Have you moved the pagefile to another partition? That might help for now but in the long term you need to promote a new DC and then rebuild this one. I wouldn't recommend partition magic on a DC.

Thank Post
    Hi

Dont use partition magic on servers its not designed to work with them. I had the same problem about 2 years back and my solution was to fit 2 new drives and mirror raid them.

Backup everthing twice.

Ghost the original c drive onto a external hard drive.

Ghost the image onto the mirrored drive and them set the machine to see the mirrored pair as the first drive and boot from that. The stone engineer did the work for me as I could not afford the server versions of the software.

Good luck with this one and make sure you have a full backup before you start and dont do it at a critical time.

Richard

12. Thanks to ricki from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had fun with this over the holidays - my backup DC has a 10GB boot partition thanks to the previous NM/supplier and running updates meant it ran out of space (it's only around a year old as well). Foolish me thought "that's ok, I'll change the disk to dynamic and sort it out in a jiffy!" and only after I'd made that one way trip did I remember you can't do diddly-squat to the boot partition.

Fair enough, then, I'll find some third party software, this'll do the trick, oh wait... they all need a basic disk, not dynamic. Buggrit.

In the process of flailing around after that I then managed to accidentally delete my WSUS partition so I've had to once again rebuild WSUS (on a VM this time because the DC no longer has enough hard drive space to install the program) and repopulate the database.

So yes, tiny 10GB boot partitions on servers with 600GB of space and 200GB sitting unallocated anyway can DIAF.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What's taking up all the space? 10Gb isn't massive for a server C: drive but it's not ridiculously small!

Run Treesize or any of the other programs which have been mentioned here before to find out where the space has all gone.

Look at using junctions to move stuff to another drive. For example, suppose that c:\windows\system32\dllcache is taking up a mass of space. You really want to keep that folder there but it doesn't have to be on that physical drive. What you can do is make a folder on drive D:, move the content into it and then make a link (junction) to point to the new location. Windows still sees c:\windows\system32\dllcache but you've just gained a big chunk of disc space.

You can move pretty much anything but you need to pick folders which are not in use (so don't try moving system32 itself!) - if you stop the windows update service then c:\windows\softwaredistribution is another good one to move.

15. 2 Thanks to srochford:

sonofsanta (30th April 2010), speckytecky (28th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    What's taking up all the space? 10GB isn't massive for a server C: drive but it's not ridiculously small!
    It depends on which server OS you install though. Some are bigger than others. More so, once you include service packs/hotfixes and additional software.

Given that a lot of servers are still configured with two 73GB or 146GB HDDs in RAID1 for the OS - with other data stored elsewhere (separate HDDs or a SAN/NAS etc.), partitioning them doesn't make a lot of sense. Folders should be used for organizing data, not partitions. It's much easier to move the former than the latter when you run out of space.

17. Thanks to Arthur from:

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    powerquest volume manager is the server version of partition magic............last time I used it was at version 2, worked well.

19. Thanks to IanT from:

Thank Post
    Move the print spooler to another drive .....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast