+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, DC C: Drive almost full in Technical; Apologies to any who view this as a naive question but as my server experience is limited ... how do ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apologies to any who view this as a naive question but as my server experience is limited ... how do you move the print spooler without screwing up the users ability to print?

Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    Move the print spooler to another drive .....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Apologies to any who view this as a naive question but as my server experience is limited ... how do you move the print spooler without screwing up the users ability to print?
    What OS are you using? If you've got Print Manager installed (Windows 2003 R2 and up) right click on the name of your print server, click Properties and change the destination of your spool folder.

3. Thanks to timzim from:

speckytecky (27th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Timzin, It is a MS Server 2003 R DC and everything else including print server. However, what I do have a redundant RM Smartcache 2 which fell redundant last summer when Espresso put their own Linux Espresso server in - I'm wondering how difficult it would be to set the old box up as a print server that might be an answer to the problem?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's easy to setup another machine as print server; it may be much harder to point all your existing clients to use it!

If you currently have a system where login script, group policy or similar assigns printers then it's easy to change the printserver, change the login script and at next login everything "just works"

If you've manually added printers over the years then changing printers is hard work - it needs that step repeating. It's possible to automate it - you can have a script which says "if printer \\server1\printer2 is configured then delete it and install \\server2\printer2"

6. Thanks to srochford from:

speckytecky (27th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Umh - thanks Steve.

Looks like I'm stuck with the set up till the next server upgrade then - our printers come across through an all user profile. Good thing is that I now know so much more when the upgrade does happen; like what not to accept as a default (12GB C: drive for a start)!! Anyhow, if I'm still at that school (budgetary cuts and all that plus we have a very proactive team from an IT company keen to get into schools touting like crazy to get a foot in the door) come the time I'll be asking a shed load of questions here in advance on what really would be best and how to set it all up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    our printers come across through an all user profile.
    When you say "all users" profile do you mean a default profile on each machine? If so, it's not impossible to push out new profiles to the machine - depends on how many different printers you need to set up. If you've got (say) 100 different printers then it's hard work. If it's 5 then it's just a case of editing the profile on each of 5 machines and copying to the other machines that need to be the same.

If you've got space on the D: drive then changing the spooler to use D: instead of C: is very, very easy. It's non disruptive/destructive and often gets back a load of space (and more importantly means you won't run out of disc space during the day because a printer is out of paper and jobs are being queued!)

9. Thanks to srochford from:

speckytecky (28th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Steve,

Yep that's where I'm at - sounds like an ideal solution as we only have 3 networked printers and two photocopiers (one being the default printer as it comes off the Admin cost centre) throughout the school.

I have a notebook to set up at the start of term (HD replaced under warranty) not currently imaging so it's a manual set up so an ideal opportunity to test the change I hope.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You also don't have to do "big bang" approach. You can have both servers running at the same time and pointing to the same printers; you then just gradually move all your users across.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123