+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Help! Everythings gone slow!!!! in Technical; Staff complaining of slow logon! Rebooted server, no difference. Noticed an Exclamation mark in a triangle light up on server... ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Help! Everythings gone slow!!!!

Staff complaining of slow logon! Rebooted server, no difference. Noticed an Exclamation mark in a triangle light up on server...

I've been told by the company that supplied it that i need to contact manufactuer and that i could be a failed hard drive...does that sound right?

Thank Post
    Possibly... When we had a failed drive in a Raid5 that's pretty much what happened. Eventually the server may realise the drive's dead and stop trying to use it at which point things'll speed up again - but you'll have no fault tolerence so double the backups!

What make of server is it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *ahem* NEC *ahem*

Apparently Exclamation mark is normal cus its green and not amber (you know when you've never noticed something before). Manufactor support said to download some boot cd that sounds like its gonna update motherboard etc....

Trying to think what else this could be but its has to be the server cus when i rebooted it it took an era for me to log in as administrator.

Where can i check the condition of the RAID drives?

Thank Post

Unhappy

Unfortunately I don't have any of those we've got most other makes of Server represented in the server room

On the IBMs that drives have failed on, there's an amber LED next to each HDD that came on when they failed... and the "hot swap" didn't - chkdsktastic!

Sorry that's not much help but at least it gives you a bump and hopefully some who knows NECs will spot it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    is there any software installed on the server for the Raid configuration? I would presume so if not then when booting the server you can maybe boot into a configuration there. This is a guess as i have never used NEC servers but thats the kind of thing you see with other manufacturers. If there is no software install on the server maybe look at the NEC website for the server that could maybe have a download for the configuration software

Toby

Thank Post
    Sounds to me like similar symptoms to if you had a loopback on your network. Have the little darlings looped a cable back into the port next to the one it came out of?

Enable spanning tree on your switches and see if that sorts the problem out. On a similar note, what are your lights on your switches doing? Are they blinking in time, or randomly or what, as this can be a tell-tale sign too.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not a NEC Express 5800 is it? We've seen a couple where one of the ports on the Promise Raid Card dies.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    As far as checking your RAID goes, flipping open the front of the cabinet and looking at the LEDs on each of the drives, should be the quickest way of telling you... one should be a different colour.

When I had this happen, (symptoms - printers stopped working and then it slowed to a crawl) the Event Viewer had a tonne of red messages in it. (Sorry if you know this: Right Click on 'My Computer', Click on 'Manage')

On reboot of the server, it quite clearly told me the drive had failed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ah. Cheers guys..

checking the RAID was a silly question, should've sat down and took a breathe first, but i always manage to get myself into a tizz...

From what i can see, it may have resolved itself. I met Chr1s at a Network Managers conference and he mentioned DNS. Looking at my Event Viewer there does seem to be some mumbles about it which now begs the question...was it DNS and if so whats wrong with my DNS?!

1) Don't remember seeing any sort of RAID software installed. Will look with fresh eyes tomorrow
    2) Don't think it was a loop back. We have clever cisco switches that are managed remotely
    3)Nah, its an SL1720 or something along those lines...

Thank Post
    What errors are you seeing in event viewer?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread