+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Block inheritance in Technical; Hi, We have had to block inheritance of properties in order for our software to run, according to the LEA ...
    Thank Post

Block inheritance

Hi,

We have had to block inheritance of properties in order for our software to run, according to the LEA this was the only way. This causes so many problems!

My Question is how can I apply a group policy to a container when Block Inheritance has been checked?

THanks
    - Stuart

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 01hanstu View Post
    Hi,

We have had to block inheritance of properties in order for our software to run, according to the LEA this was the only way. This causes so many problems!

My Question is how can I apply a group policy to a container when Block Inheritance has been checked?

THanks
    - Stuart
    Apply that policy to that container? ie. have it applied to the parent, and the child?

Thank Post
    If they are saying you have to block inheritance, i assume of GPO's, then they must be a reason behind it. Is it one setting that should be left as something? You could always try and find out which policy is causing the problems and just deny that one to the OU or find the setting it requires and have another GPO for his which u apply with the software? simply doing what they have said may solve the issue, but knowing why that works would be a better step to finding a better solution (better being you don't have to disable inheritance.) my 2pence neway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    If enabling block inheritance solves the problem, there could typically be a conflict of policies somewhere which is inherited higher up the tree. Using GPMC will allow you to easily view which policies are being applied so you can isolate the problem.

I would only ever enable block inheritance as the last option. I would consider it a temporary workaround, not a permanent fix.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If enabling block inheritance solves the problem, there could typically be a conflict of policies somewhere which is inherited higher up the tree. Using GPMC will allow you to easily view which policies are being applied so you can isolate the problem.

I would only ever enable block inheritance as the last option. I would consider it a temporary workaround, not a permanent fix.
    I Agree! Personally I would never Block Inheritance. I would look at the issue and see what doesn't work, but its not my system. I just need to apply a policy to the OU where it is blocked to and appliy the policy on a dummy OU and test what happens and take it from there.

Any Ideas?
    - Stuart

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread