+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Previous versions bug? in Technical; We've come across a really strange problem with Previous Versions. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem? ...
    DrT

Thank Post

Previous versions bug?

We've come across a really strange problem with Previous Versions. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Briefly, Windows Server 2003, XP client. Loads of disk space on the server. Multiple volumes with all the previous versions held on a separate, non-shadow-copied volume (as per the recommendation).

After a period of a couple of weeks, we find we are unable to manipulate large files. For example, when trying to open an Outlook archive file of about 100MB+ we get an "unable to open..." error. Nothing specific to go on. We see similar errors when trying to move or copy other big files.

By chance, when we first spotted this, we deleted one Shadow Copy from the server, and the file copy, and Outlook archive worked. Surely a fluke, but no, this is the "fix" - delete one Previous Version, and the problem goes away for a while.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thank Post
    Yes it does sound familiar and there is a fix for it, but I can't for the life of me remember it. I also seem to recall re-booting the server sorts the issue - of course not a solution, but as a temporary fix we scheduled a re-boot every weekend just to keep things working properly while I found the permanent fix.

If I come across it I'll post it up - going to rummage through my documentation folder where I shove printouts of all the MS knowledgebase articles that have been useful. It is a known issue and there is most definitely a fix for it.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread