+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Look at peoples email? in Technical; I need to look into certain pupils accounts for a very nasty email. The usual way would be for me ...
    Thank Post

Look at peoples email?

I need to look into certain pupils accounts for a very nasty email. The usual way would be for me to change the account password and use webmail.

Unfortunately I need to look into 20 user accounts! Is there a better way?

I'm running exchange 2007sp1 on a 64bit w2k3 box.

Thank Post
    We use exmerge for this type of thing on exchange 2003, or you could add the administrator account into all users accounts then you won't be prompted for a password.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,418 Times in 1,698 Posts
    Before you even start this make sure you have the WRITTEN authority from the head teacher with a brief explanation of why you are doing this.
    Would be best to have someone with you as well - maybe a member of SMT who can corroborate what you have done

4. 2 Thanks to witch:

mrmontymick (18th March 2010), TheRedGuy (19th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Before you even start this make sure you have the WRITTEN authority from the head teacher with a brief explanation of why you are doing this.
    Would be best to have someone with you as well - maybe a member of SMT who can corroborate what you have done
    Extremely solid advice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I would say that is a bit over the top for pupil email - and much depends on the quality of your AUP.

To answer the original question - probably the easiest option to read all inbox folders is to give yourself admin rights so you can open their folders inside your outloook client. Failing that, reset passwords and log in to OWA....

It seems long-winded, but i've resorted to it before when I needed to fully investigate (i.e. look through sub-folders and sent / deleted items etc) You can also print and gather decent evidence that way etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I would say that is a bit over the top for pupil email - and much depends on the quality of your AUP.

To answer the original question - probably the easiest option to read all inbox folders is to give yourself admin rights so you can open their folders inside your outloook client. Failing that, reset passwords and log in to OWA....

It seems long-winded, but i've resorted to it before when I needed to fully investigate (i.e. look through sub-folders and sent / deleted items etc) You can also print and gather decent evidence that way etc.
    If you give yourself full access permission on an Exchange account you can open their account in OWA and see everything without having to reset a password.

If you use https://<servername>/owa/<useremailaddress> it will normally open their entire mailbox in the browser window.

As for the AUP, yes does depend on that - as long as the Headmaster has agreed the AUP in place that is your written authority.

I would still have someone else present when opening another persons email account. Depending on the nature of what you're looking for it's your call as to whether that's Senior Leadership or just another staff member.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmontymick View Post
    If you give yourself full access permission on an Exchange account you can open their account in OWA and see everything without having to reset a password.

If you use https://<servername>/owa/<useremailaddress> it will normally open their entire mailbox in the browser window
    If that works when I get back in the office I'll come back and hit the thanks button! I have gone years no knowing that!

9. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

chazzy2501 (18th March 2010)

Thank Post
    to save time.. if you have the storage on the server to keep a copy of all email's as you need to for 6 years at a time have a look at this.. you only need to watch the first 3min 30sec of it to create a archive account.

MailArchiva Enterprise Edition Technical Training Video

1 account to login to and see all emails.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    If that works when I get back in the office I'll come back and hit the thanks button! I have gone years no knowing that!
    Yep if you are an admin for exchange log in to OWA and then add the username you want to look at to the end of the URL. Straight in, no added login.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the tips, how do I give myself permissions through the exchange management console... I couldn't find the security options.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips, how do I give myself permissions through the exchange management console... I couldn't find the security options.
    Right Click on the Users Mailbox, Select Manage Full Access Permissions and then add the user whom wishes to view the mailboxes.

Then you can view the mailbox by browsing to https://servername/owa/username (or using an external address)

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    You dont do it in the exchange manager as such, run ad users and computers on the box with the exchange manager and you should see extra tabs for exchange permissions.

Thank Post
    Ummm, I don't have ad installed on the exchange server

I'll have to do it one buy one by right clicking on the users mailbox.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You dont need ad install, just the admin pack for 2003 which is small:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-a8dcbacff8e3

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could also install the exchange managment console on your own machine to access the exchange server save having to go on the server i have this to save some time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast