+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, User Names in Technical; Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner We changed our last summer. For students we now use their six digit date of birth ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    We changed our last summer.

For students we now use their six digit date of birth followed by their initials. For staff we use the very basic first initial surname.
    I as a student wouldn't want to be using a system where my personal details such as my birthdate (which may I add is commonly used as identifiers for other services such as banks) to be available to anyone that could see me log in or knows how to search active directory....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I use the year of entry, first 2 from first name first 2 from last name and admission number from the MIS Database

So Joe Blogs who entered in 2009 and has a MIS ID of4353 is

09jobl4353

Staff are currently initials with ST at the front
    eg: stjs

But will be changing at summer to firstinitial surnmae
    jbloggs

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use the year of leaving+first initial+surname for the students but now that we're getting a sixth form it's all now gone awry. I'll probably do something different next year.

Thank Post
    Pupils: [Short Year they start / would have started in Year 7][initial][surname] eg. This September's intake would be 10JBloggs

Only had one occasion where 2 pupils would have had the same username so Jane Bloggs became 09JaBloggs and John became 09JoBloggs.

Staff: [initial][surname] eg JBloggs

Thank Post
    We use SIMS.NET as our MIS so we use students enrollment number e.g 008995 as there user name and for staff just there surname e.g smith

Thank Post
    HI

I use surname, first letter forename, first letter middle name and end 2 digits of year they start in eg 07 = 2007

Each year has a folder and has a group policy and they stay in that until they leave and you dont have to promote them each year.

Richard

Thank Post
    We use staff codes for staff usernames and for students we use surname-first initial followed by sims admission number (student-a1234)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    I as a student wouldn't want to be using a system where my personal details such as my birthdate (which may I add is commonly used as identifiers for other services such as banks) to be available to anyone that could see me log in or knows how to search active directory....
    A fair point, however the main reason we changed to this setup is that it gives them exactly the same username as they use for Sam Learning, something we actually use quite a lot (meaning it's one less thing for them to forget). In addition, it is something that they cannot forget, we've not had one instance yet where a student has forgotten their date of birth or initials (had we gone down the route of admission numbers etc, the crossover could well have been a logistical nightmare given the number of students who forget their password on a daily basis).

Similarly, do students aged between 11-16 have bank accounts that allow them online access?? (being a kind of half stepfather to a 10 year old I know he hasn't got this kind banl account and I can't imagine that it changes once he turns 11). This may be a fair point for the 15/16 year olds as by then they may have part time jobs which pay directly into a bank account but that can't be the case for those aged 11-14 as even those that have paper rounds will be paid cash in hand. Even then though those bank accounts that do give online access require you to use a card reader in order to access the account so are pretty secure.

To be honest these are things we did consider, but we fault that the risk was pretty minor.

Thank Post
    We use something a little different.

For pupils, we start with the year they were born, their initials and something simple like 11, which is handy when you have kids born in the same year with the same initials. So, Harry Potter, born in 1999 is 99hp11, then is Henry Potter joins, and he was born in 1999, he'd be 99hp12.

For staff we just use the domain abbreviation. "st" the initials "hp" and "11".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12