Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, windows update fails in Technical; This happens on both of our 2003 servers. It gets to the "Updates are being Prepared and Downloaded" hangs for ...
13th March 2010, 12:13 PM #1
windows update fails
This happens on both of our 2003 servers. It gets to the "Updates are being Prepared and Downloaded" hangs for a few minutes then fails. I've tried all of the fixes MS suggest. XP machines appear to be ok, although they sometimes blip a bit.
13th March 2010, 12:35 PM #2
Have you checked out the proxy settings to make sure they are allowed access to pull down .exe's etc?
Do you have WSUS at the site you could set up for your boxes to use, that way you have a single place to troubleshoot/look at downloading from the outside and you control what goes out to your boxes and save some bandwidth from them all going to the internet.
Thanks to kmount from:
laserblazer (13th March 2010)
13th March 2010, 12:52 PM #3
Proxy settings haven't changed and they are the same as the XP machines that do work. It was whilst I started planning WSUS that I noticed it. I don't know if it's a good idea to use WSUS until I've got this sorted.
I let it run its course and it has installed a Powerpoint viewer update but nothing else!
Last edited by laserblazer; 13th March 2010 at 12:54 PM.
13th March 2010, 12:56 PM #4
not sure if its the same on a windows server as it is on an xp box, on an xp box you can stop the automatic update service and either rename / delete the software distribution folder ( generally inside the windows or system32 directory ) and then restart the service, not sure if that will make it worse or not but if you rename the directory and see if re creating it helps, if not you can always delete the newly created one and rename the original one back to what it was.
Thanks to mac_shinobi from:
laserblazer (13th March 2010)
13th March 2010, 01:14 PM #5
If it pulled *something* down it's kind of working so that to me rules out BITS etc.
Have you had a butchers in the log?
How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
13th March 2010, 01:53 PM #6
I disabled auto updates and a manual update is sort of working on both servers. Some updates are going through and some are failing. I've left it to get on with it and I'll check the logs o Monday.
13th March 2010, 01:55 PM #7
Is it the same updates on both failing?
Could be the filename getting picked up on the filter maybe?
Or dodgy internet connection corrupting the files during download so crc check fails.
15th March 2010, 03:57 PM #8
This seems to have been the problem. Once I worked out how to completely shutdown the automatic update I was able to remove the corrupted database in SoftwareDistribution.iIt built itself a new one and seems fine now
Originally Posted by mac_shinobi
By albertwt in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
Last Post: 25th January 2010, 06:09 AM
By GoldenWonder in forum Windows 7
Last Post: 16th December 2009, 11:59 AM
By RabbieBurns in forum *nix
Last Post: 16th August 2008, 09:39 PM
By ricki in forum Windows
Last Post: 3rd April 2008, 02:03 PM
By Heebeejeebee in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 15th February 2007, 01:22 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)