+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Updating ISA server from WSUS issues in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Updating ISA server from WSUS issues

Morning all.

I hope that someone might be able to help me with a really annoying issue. To cut a long story short, Iím trying to get our ISA 2006 server to get updates from our WSUS. What is strange about this is that it seems that all requests from the ISA box are being passed on to our CLEO internet connection.

I can confirm this by trying to access our Intranet site which is on the same server as the WSUS. When I enter the address in a browser on the ISA server I get a connection refused error from a lancsngfl proxy.

The windows update log on the ISA box has a load of 0x80244022 and 0x801901f7 errors which all seem to point back to this request being forwarded outside of our network to the lancsngfl proxies.

All other computers and servers in the school can update from the WSUS and see the Intranet pages fine. Iíve check the ISA rules and everything seems to be passing around the network fine,

This is driving me crazy. Has anyone got any ideas of something I might have missed.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What DNS servers have you got set up on the ISA box?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply. There is no DNS server on our ISA box, this is handeled by another server on the network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like the chaining rule is set to send all requests to the upstream proxy, you probably need to create a new chaining rule that sends any request from localhost (isa) to the WSUS server via the internal network instead of passing it up the chain.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcowley View Post
    Thanks for the reply. There is no DNS server on our ISA box, this is handeled by another server on the network.
    No, I mean, what DNS servers does it refer to. ie. does it send all DNS requests to internal servers. Do an IPConfig /all and see.

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Sounds like the chaining rule is set to send all requests to the upstream proxy, you probably need to create a new chaining rule that sends any request from localhost (isa) to the WSUS server via the internal network instead of passing it up the chain.
    That's the exact solution that took me about 12 months to figure out a few years ago at my previous job.

Didn't help that the company who installed the servers kept telling me that absolutely everything had to go through the LA's proxy. It was only when I was setting up some web publishing rules for an internal IT Faculty site that I realised what web chaining rules needed altering.

7. Thanks to ajs from:

mcowley (2nd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No, I mean, what DNS servers does it refer to. ie. does it send all DNS requests to internal servers. Do an IPConfig /all and see.
    Ah, sorry. Ok, the local network card DNS is set to the correct local server on our network and our Internet connected card is set to a DNS on the CLEO network.

I've seen a few errors in the windows upate log relating to WinHttp. Would this be related to the fact that WINS Proxy Enabled is set to no on ipconfig /all?

Thank Post
    Am I right in saying that the chaining rule is one to allow HTTP, HTTPS, and Kerberos-Sec UDP between the ISA localhost entry and the WSUS server? If so I have created that rule this morning but the errors still persist.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The setting is under the configuration tree option on the left hand side under networks, you want to create a new web chaining rule that applies only to the localhost network going to local sites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mcowley (2nd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcowley View Post
    Ah, sorry. Ok, the local network card DNS is set to the correct local server on our network and our Internet connected card is set to a DNS on the CLEO network.
    As far as I'm aware, all DNS should be pointing internally. With the internal DNS set to forward requests to the external ones should it not be able to return a record itself.

The way you have it, the ISA box can simply ignore internal addresses entirely...

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

mcowley (2nd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @localzuk - agreed, the cleo DNS servers should be set as fowarders on your internal DNS servers (you'll need to let DNS traffic through from your servers to the net). That way all DNS lookups are internal and are only requested from the outside if they are unresolvable internally and not already cached from a previous external DNS lookup.

Thank Post
    The setting is under the configuration tree option on the left hand side under networks, you want to create a new web chaining rule that applies only to the localhost network going to local sites.
    Thank you so much!

Thats got it. I have very little knowledge of the finer points of ISA. This was setup by an outside contractor and that rule was never created.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    As far as I'm aware, all DNS should be pointing internally. With the internal DNS set to forward requests to the external ones should it not be able to return a record itself.

The way you have it, the ISA box can simply ignore internal addresses entirely...
    Ah, I never knew about how the connection was suposed to work on this. At the end of school today I'll try repointing the DNS on the Internet NIC to get things as they should be.

Thanks for the advice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread