+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Bridging? in Technical; Originally Posted by srochford Not even point and click for some of it! We've gone from setting ports and IRQs ...
  1. #16

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Not even point and click for some of it! We've gone from setting ports and IRQs with jumpers on network cards to doing it point and click to having it all done for us.

    Not long now before the computers take over and we can all be disposed of :-)
    Does that mean we can retire ? Forever ?

  2. #17
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,217
    Thank Post
    394
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Why are you in the old farts group then ?
    I miss the old days......coax, bridges, DOS LAN, manually setting jumper switches etc. These days everything is point and click.............BORING.


    Clamping on a 10Base-T transceiver

  3. #18

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Clamping on a 10Base-T transceiver
    Don't laugh, I still got a few of those hanging around in my:

    ' The may come in handy one day ' box......

  4. #19

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,157
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Hey, just because you've turned this into the 'thread that time forgot' (i'm pondering calling for a nurse to shuffle you all back to your beds), doesn't mean us youngsters don't know of the old stuff.

    I remember the fun of setting up a 10base2 network, using IPX/SPX network in order to play various games. I remember how great it was when someone donated a switch to us, and allowed us to upgrade. Great fun! I particularly loved the crazy innards of IBM 386 machines.

  5. Thanks to localzuk from:

    cookie_monster (28th February 2010)

  6. #20

    m25man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Romford, Essex
    Posts
    1,644
    Thank Post
    49
    Thanked 467 Times in 339 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Can someone explain, in idiot speak, what bridging is?

    We have a server which has 2 NIC's in it. These have been 'bridged'.

    Why would this be done, and what benefits does it bring? Does it increase speed of the network when all clients are on the same subnet, i.e. 10.22.*.* ?

    Please be gentle, I know jack about Windows 2003 Server.


    ..
    If you have two NIC's they can be configured as either Link Aggregated (Trunked) for additional through put or bridged (Passthrough).

    Bridging NICs on servers is not something I would recommend unless you know what you are doing and have a specific reason for doing so.

    If you have two ports in your server and they are "Bridged" you have in effect created a switch.

    Unless you have correctly configured your "Bridge" and connected them to the same switch you now have a Loop between your switch ports or switches and have just created a potential nightmare for yourself unless you have everything correctly setup with STP etc....

    Bridging can be used to connect two seperate network segments together to make a single contiguous subnet as opposed to routing between different subnets.

    I commonly use bridging on the laptop using 2 NICS with the Laptop in between to stage MITM attacks.

    You can use two NICs bridged and just drop your self inline between your source and target or use a Wifi adapter and 3G modem bridged to create a spoofed Wifi hotspot ......
    But that of course is very naughty and you shouldn't do that unless it was on your own network or with the approval of the owner of course

  7. #21

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post

    You can use two NICs bridged and just drop your self inline between your source and target or use a Wifi adapter and 3G modem bridged to create a spoofed Wifi hotspot ......
    But that of course is very naughty and you shouldn't do that unless it was on your own network or with the approval of the owner of course
    Never done that, but it sounds like something to do on a Rainy Sunday.....

  8. #22

    m25man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Romford, Essex
    Posts
    1,644
    Thank Post
    49
    Thanked 467 Times in 339 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Never done that, but it sounds like something to do on a Rainy Sunday.....
    "Welcome to the dark side of the force Matt...."

  9. #23
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,217
    Thank Post
    394
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Hey, just because you've turned this into the 'thread that time forgot' (i'm pondering calling for a nurse to shuffle you all back to your beds), doesn't mean us youngsters don't know of the old stuff.

    I remember the fun of setting up a 10base2 network, using IPX/SPX network in order to play various games. I remember how great it was when someone donated a switch to us, and allowed us to upgrade. Great fun! I particularly loved the crazy innards of IBM 386 machines.


    Oh yeh I love opening up the old PC's that we have in the IT museum, cards rising like skyscrapers all over the place


    Apologies for hijacking your thread theeldergeek

  10. #24

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    "Welcome to the dark side of the force Matt...."
    Well it certainly sounds more interesting than using Aircrack to find the keys to my neighbor's access points....

  11. #25

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I used to work on a Token Ring network which was bridged - to start with it used Netbeui as the protocol.......which was a nightmare. [ non-routable ] - things got a bit easier when we moved to IP but then found out that Windows95 had real problems with Netbeui over bridges [ unless you installed the latest Winsock ] - NT4 had a similar problems until Fixpack 6.
    I bet most of the young ones on here have never heard of Netbeui thinking about it. Banyan Vines anyone ?
    had never heard of netbeui but i was only 4 when you speak of this windows 95 thing!

    @dhicks great answer!

  12. #26

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    had never heard of netbeui but i was only 4 when you speak of this windows 95 thing!

    @dhicks great answer!
    God you are making me feel really old now........

  13. #27

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    God you are making me feel really old now........
    haha,

    my first pc a gateway 2000 running win95 on the old 56k modem, how slow it must have been compared to now!!

  14. #28
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,217
    Thank Post
    394
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    haha,

    my first pc a gateway 2000 running win95 on the old 56k modem, how slow it must have been compared to now!!

    I think i've still got the win95 floppy disk install somewhere at work, all 25 of them

    Oh the pain of rebuilding a PC and then having to download things like java, flash and adobe reader over a 28/56k modem. Not to mention windows updates

  15. #29

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I think i've still got the win95 floppy disk install somewhere at work, all 25 of them

    Oh the pain of rebuilding a PC and then having to download things like java, flash and adobe reader over a 28/56k modem. Not to mention windows updates
    there worth keeping if there not oem licensed for use if u get a schools agreement somewhere as they can be used as licenses to upgrade from, therefore if u buy pc's u dont have 2 pay for an os

  16. #30
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,217
    Thank Post
    394
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    there worth keeping if there not oem licensed for use if u get a schools agreement somewhere as they can be used as licenses to upgrade from, therefore if u buy pc's u dont have 2 pay for an os


    Yep i've got a whole box of Win98 licences as well shame DOS6 disks don't count

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Ubuntu] bridging and bonding network cards
    By clodhopper in forum *nix
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th October 2009, 11:14 PM
  2. Wireless Bridging
    By SimpleSi in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd October 2009, 01:19 PM
  3. Bridging connections
    By Potato-Peeler in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th August 2009, 09:13 AM
  4. Bridging network connections
    By _Bat_ in forum *nix
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 31st December 2008, 04:59 PM
  5. Wireless APs for bridging
    By rhyds in forum Hardware
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9th September 2008, 11:24 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •