+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Roaming Profiles going screwy in Technical; Wondering if anyone could help me, please! I have a problem with roaming profiles going, well, for want of a ...
    Thank Post

Roaming Profiles going screwy

Wondering if anyone could help me, please! I have a problem with roaming profiles going, well, for want of a better word screwy!

We're using server 2003, and xp pro workstations. The profile should redirect the My Docs to the user's home folder, hold anything on the desktop (which should be nothing, but occasionally there's some odds and sods), and contains the e-mail setup (but not the actuall pst). In a nut shell what happens is this:

A user tries to log in. The log in takes ages (we're talking 5 mins or so), and when it finally gets there, the roaming profile appears not to have been applied, i.e. the my docs reverts to a local temp file, e-mail fails, and interestingly, the appearance scheme reverts to grey windows classic, with the standard blank desktop (we don't stop kids from changing their desktops or the appearance - not my decision).

It's easily resolved by just recreating the profile folder on the server, redirecting the my docs and setting up the e-mail again, but at the moment we've got about 8/10 or so going each day, and all I seem to be doing at the moment is recreating them!

There is no link with a specific machine, or with an OU. It is entirely random. Whilst I can accept the odd one to go on occasion as it's being passed back and forth so often, there are just too many going for there not to be something else lurking. When I first took on this job, we had the exact same issue, and after numerous calls to our then support company (they tried to say is was user error - on my part), they eventually came out and agreed that there was an issue, and fixed it. I didn't know anything at all then (I know precious little now ), and they explained it to me in some very cag-handed way... In that "there is a database where the roaming profile is mixed with the machine profile, and it needed to be recreated as it had gone corrupt, and that was causing the output to be off"... Means nothing to me now either. I've tried looking on the call sheet to see what they did, but it's about as helpful. I'm sure someone will know exactly what they were talking about, but whatever it was that they did, I need to do again!

Can anyone help me please?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,659 Posts
    I can't help with the "database"... never had things go that screwy sorry.

However, you do need to clear any remnants of profiles off all your local workstations. It does help. delprof.exe can be used to do this (it's well documented on here)

It seems to happen here to users who have enormous roaming profiles.

JAM Software - TreeSize Free on your server is great for identifying the worst offenders.

Local training in emptying recycle bins/ scripts to empty recycle bins / script to delete cookies and a fixed desktop all help.

Thank Post
    You haven't got cacheing enabled on the profile share have you? That's supposed to cause this kind of trouble...

"there is a database where the roaming profile is mixed with the machine profile, and it needed to be recreated as it had gone corrupt, and that was causing the output to be off"
    That's a bit of registry that's in the profile - no black magic, but, yes it can get corrupted sometimes
    Last edited by BatchFile; 25th February 2010 at 10:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Never heard of having to recreate a roaming profiles database before.

Do you actually need roaming profiles? Ours caused all sorts of trouble, including long login and logoff times because users were storing huge files on their desktops, etc. We got rid of them all and simply use folder redirection now - no further problems!

Anyway, do you have a backup copy of your users profiles? If so it should be relatively simple (if time consuming) to recreate the profiles, making sure that you remove all cached data from the workstations.

But, as you say, why are they all going bad on you in the first place? There must be a file, or files that are being passed around that are causing this.
    Last edited by Number6; 25th February 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I can't help with the "database"... never had things go that screwy sorry.

However, you do need to clear any remnants of profiles off all your local workstations. It does help. delprof.exe can be used to do this (it's well documented on here)

It seems to happen here to users who have enormous roaming profiles.

JAM Software - TreeSize Free on your server is great for identifying the worst offenders.

Local training in emptying recycle bins/ scripts to empty recycle bins / script to delete cookies and a fixed desktop all help.
    I'm glad you're saying the samething about the "database" - I thought I was missing something really simple when I couldn't find anything about it!!
    I do go round periodically and remove the profiles, but I didn't know there was a better way.... Thanks!
    As for the size of the profile, it makes no difference in this case (it does when we have the odd one or 2 go, but this is on a completely different scale!).

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    You haven't got cacheing enabled on the profile share have you? That's supposed to cause this kind of trouble...
    Sorry to sound thick - I'm afraid I would know how/where to check, and I have no one to ask here... But if it IS that, then why has the issue only reared its ugly head again recently? Wouldn't it be doing this all the time??

EDIT: Have just had a sqint - we have "files or programs from the share will not be available offline"..., so I guess not.
    Last edited by solitaire89; 25th February 2010 at 10:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post

That's a bit of registry that's in the profile - no black magic, but, yes it can get corrupted sometimes
    Ahhh... tell me more........ That's ringing something in the back of my head........ But I don't know why...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    Never heard of having to recreate a roaming profiles database before.

Do you actually need roaming profiles? Ours caused all sorts of trouble, including long login and logoff times because users were storing huge files on their desktops, etc. We got rid of them all and simply use folder redirection now - no further problems!

Anyway, do you have a backup copy of your users profiles? If so it should be relatively simple (if time consuming) to recreate the profiles, making sure that you remove all cached data from the workstations.

But, as you say, why are they all going bad on you in the first place? There must be a file, or files that are being passed around that are causing this.
    As to do we need them - I'd say no, but other people in this place would disagree... I'm only the technician you see

We do have a backup copy, but it's actually quicker to recreate it - that's how little there is there. But obviously 10 or so a day take up time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    As to do we need them - I'd say no, but other people in this place would disagree... I'm only the technician you see

We do have a backup copy, but it's actually quicker to recreate it - that's how little there is there. But obviously 10 or so a day take up time
    So am I - but one day the roaming profiles "mysteriously" vanished, to be replaced with folder redirection. Hardly anyone even noticed!

Apart from the vastly improved logon times

Thank Post
    "there is a database where the roaming profile is mixed with the machine profile, and it needed to be recreated as it had gone corrupt, and that was causing the output to be off"...
    This is all lies (sorry to be blunt, but fobbing customers off is one thing I cannot abide).

Thank Post
    If you have the time and patience then this will give you some insight into RP registry structures.

User Profile Structure

Thank Post
    Ahhh... tell me more........ That's ringing something in the back of my head........ But I don't know why...
    The ntuser.dat and ntuser.log files are the user part ('hive') of the registry, and they're delivered with the profile. They form the HKEY_CURRENT_USER part, whereas system.dat and friends from the workstation's Windows folder form the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE part. If that's what they meant by database, they explained it very poorly indeed; they shouldn't get merged though, that is really screwy.

Thank Post
    I have the same problem in one school but not on such a large scale. Yes it is totally random we have max 3 a week i just .old the profile and delprof the machines. the docs are redirected anyway.
    server is 2003 and totally heading to be used as a door wedge soon. So a hopefully a good upgrade should sort this out and a better way of storing users profiles. tips welcome

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by busby View Post
    tips welcome
    Mandatory profiles solve so many problems.

14. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

busby (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Nice one. so in a nutshell \\Server\ShareName\UserName.man ??.

we already use \\Server\ShareName\UserName permissions set as authenticated users, read only

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by busby View Post
    Nice one. so in a nutshell \\Server\ShareName\UserName.man ??.

we already use \\Server\ShareName\UserName permissions set as authenticated users, read only

Thanks
    No, change \\server\sharename\username\ntuser.dat to \\server\sharename\username\ntuser.man.

17. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

busby (25th February 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast