+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Roaming Profiles going screwy in Technical; Originally Posted by DMcCoy It's not after they change password is it? As the roaming profile will not load after ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    It's not after they change password is it? As the roaming profile will not load after the user changes their password in with XP SP3 unless you have applied a hotfix or rebooted the machine.
    Nope, there's nothing that anyone does to trigger it that I can tell... I've had mine go twice over the last few weeks, and I can't see any pattern yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post

have you tried the user profile cleanup tool

BTW are you using xp sp3 now as i have had problems with profiles not unloading when the user logs off
    ever since i installed sp3

The User hive cleanup tool along with delprof fixed the issue for us
    Yes, we are using sp3, but the first time we had the issue, I believe we were at sp2 (don't quote me though )
    I haven't tried that tool - will give it a go! Many thanks

Thank Post
    In general there is only a finite set of things that can break profiles:

Busy or unreliable file server (there can be many thousands of files in each profile)

Busy or unreliable network

Process holding the user.dat file open when logging out. AV, remote managment etc are usual suspects for this.

XP SP3 password change bug

Slow link detection enabled

Wait for network at boot *disabled*

It is possible to enable debug logging on machines to narrow down any errors when it goes wrong

Thank Post

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    I can't reproduce it either... As I said - utterly and entirely random. And we employ the same "fix", but still have to re-do the e-mail and re-direction.

We're a "whole way through" school - babes in arms to VIth form... And yes, lots of roaming!

If you could keep me posted, that would be great - Thanks
    What's the e-mail and re-direction you have to keep putting in?
    Is that your Outlook PST settings etc?
    If so I've got a script that our LA used to use for Outlook that would do all this for you - we don't use it here as most of our Outlook users use archiving and the script has trouble handling that.

If by re-direction you mean folder - this could be done via Group Policy, if it's anything else (but simple registry tweaks) I could always whip you up a quick Group Policy template to do this for you in Group Policy - so you have less to do when it goes wrong

We have Year 7 until Year 13 here - but still lots of roaming, except our kiddies share a single mandatory profile - if only our staff did

I'm going to look at pushing out UPH Clean (the tool that round2it posted a link to) as we used to have this on every XP box but since our numerous XP image updates, it may have fallen through the cracks and may well solve the problem or at least eliminate a possible avenue of enquiry.

As for the Symantec issue - it seems that there was an issue that regularly caused profile corruption with Symantec AV where it would perform virus-scanning at logon - we don't run Symantec here so it's a non-starter for us.

HTH,

Az

Thank Post
    We have a similar issue and i've narrowed it down to wireless, pulling the profiles through on wireless can sometime corrupt them hence the need to remove and rebuild. I simply disabled roaming profiles on laptops through GPO and it hardly happens now! Very odd but seems to have worked!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    This is the old "Symantec" problem isn't it?

Eh?!
    This goes back a couple of years, maybe three, when Symantec AV seemed to "reset" random ntuser.dat files to 256Kb, see here for example:

Roaming Profiles and Ntuser.dat corruption

7. Thanks to Number6 from:

BJG (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    It is possible to enable debug logging on machines to narrow down any errors when it goes wrong
    Sounds like a plan, but as it looks like the error could occure at previous log off rather than log on, does that mean we're going to have to enable it on all machines?? Isn't that going to cause problems?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    What's the e-mail and re-direction you have to keep putting in?
    Is that your Outlook PST settings etc?
    If so I've got a script that our LA used to use for Outlook that would do all this for you - we don't use it here as most of our Outlook users use archiving and the script has trouble handling that.

If by re-direction you mean folder - this could be done via Group Policy, if it's anything else (but simple registry tweaks) I could always whip you up a quick Group Policy template to do this for you in Group Policy - so you have less to do when it goes wrong
    It's basically setting up the e-mail account again, and pointing it in the direction of the pst which is not in the profile, but the user's home folder.
    My docs is setting the target folder location... Can that be done by GP? I think I'm really going to have to push for this training...
    As for Symantec - nope, we're on AVG.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo2000 View Post
    We have a similar issue and i've narrowed it down to wireless, pulling the profiles through on wireless can sometime corrupt them hence the need to remove and rebuild. I simply disabled roaming profiles on laptops through GPO and it hardly happens now! Very odd but seems to have worked!
    sadly it doesn't appear to have any correlation to users using a wireless connection.... Good thought though, thanks

Thank Post

Cool

It's basically setting up the e-mail account again, and pointing it in the direction of the pst which is not in the profile, but the user's home folder.
    My docs is setting the target folder location... Can that be done by GP? I think I'm really going to have to push for this training...
    I can probably dig that script out for you if you are having issues still.
    In regards to GP, yes you can redirect my documents via GP and I'd definately push for training.

To redirect my documents:

Open the desired GP object (as if you were going to edit it)
    Go to User Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Folder Redirection
    You should see 'My Documents' - if you right click this and go to Properties, it will allow you to configure it to your liking.

It's worth noting that 'Grant the User Exclusive access to my documents' and 'Move My Documents to the new location' are better off disabled as they can cause no end of hassles.

What kind of training are you thinking of?

HTH,

Az

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123