+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Re-installing a DC in Technical; Hi, I have a Server 2003 DC that is having a few problems. I've tried many things and it seems ...

Thank Post

Re-installing a DC

Hi,

I have a Server 2003 DC that is having a few problems. I've tried many things and it seems a re-install is the only option. It was my only DC and also hosts Exchange. I have setup another machine as a DC and the Active Directory and DNS has replicated over. I will also set up DHCP on this server.

On the original DC I have the C: drive where the OS is installed and then a seperate RAID array (D for data.

Am I correct in thinking that in theory this should be a fairly simple re-install?

1) Take a full backup of Exchange.
    2) Use DCpromo and demote the original DC.
    3) Re-install the OS on the C: drive.
    4) Use DCPromo to promote the server to DC status. Active Directory should replicate from the second DC.
    5) Install DNS and DHCP which will then replicate from the other server.
    6) All the data is still on D: but the share information will be lost as it is stored in the registry so I will need to setup the shares again.
    7) Install Exchange and restore the database from the backup.

Is there anything I need to particularly look out for here or am I missing something blindingly obvious? I could well be, it's been a long day and I'm about to go to bed.

Cheers in anticipation.

Thank Post
    Leaving aside the "exchange really shouldn't be on a DC" issue......

1) You need to transfer FSMO roles from the old DC to the new DC: How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003
    2) If the old DC is broken to the point that's not possible, you need to seize the roles: Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller
    3) You should also check your secondary DC is working properly using dcdiag, repadmin and netdiag - don't nuke the original DC until you're sure.
    4) I'd also back up D: (yes, even though you don't plan to touch it).
    5) You can back up the share info - it's held in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\Shares - more info Saving and restoring existing Windows shares

Will mail cache at the LEA / RBC level while your exchange server is down? Is exchange in good shape?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to make sure that you have transfered the FSMO master roles over to the new DC as there are certain core bits of AD that only run on one DC at a time.
    How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003

You are right about the shares needing to be remapped. You could also have issues with exchange if you are keeping the same server name because it stores lots of stuff in AD which may need to be cleaned out prior to installing again.
    How to delete old exchange server from AD - Petri.co.il forums by Daniel Petri

Exchange should remember the organisation settings but it would be a good idea to copy them down in case. Depending on the restore method you may or may not have to reconnect each mailbox to each AD account but I am unsure on this.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I had forgotten about transferring the FSMO roles. Will I also need to make the new DC a global catalogue server too?

Exchange is in good shape.

Thanks for the tip for saving all the share info.

Thank Post
    DHCP doesnt replicate, infact you dont have it installed on more than 1 PC (well you can but i wont go into that). You can however export and import all the settings and reservations.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread