Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Re-installing a DC in Technical; Hi,
I have a Server 2003 DC that is having a few problems. I've tried many things and it seems ...
24th February 2010, 10:55 PM #1
IDG Tech News
24th February 2010, 11:21 PM #2
Leaving aside the "exchange really shouldn't be on a DC" issue......
1) You need to transfer FSMO roles from the old DC to the new DC: How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003
2) If the old DC is broken to the point that's not possible, you need to seize the roles: Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller
3) You should also check your secondary DC is working properly using dcdiag, repadmin and netdiag - don't nuke the original DC until you're sure.
4) I'd also back up D: (yes, even though you don't plan to touch it).
5) You can back up the share info - it's held in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\Shares - more info Saving and restoring existing Windows shares
Will mail cache at the LEA / RBC level while your exchange server is down? Is exchange in good shape?
24th February 2010, 11:22 PM #3
You need to make sure that you have transfered the FSMO master roles over to the new DC as there are certain core bits of AD that only run on one DC at a time.
How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003
You are right about the shares needing to be remapped. You could also have issues with exchange if you are keeping the same server name because it stores lots of stuff in AD which may need to be cleaned out prior to installing again.
How to delete old exchange server from AD - Petri.co.il forums by Daniel Petri
Exchange should remember the organisation settings but it would be a good idea to copy them down in case. Depending on the restore method you may or may not have to reconnect each mailbox to each AD account but I am unsure on this.
25th February 2010, 12:31 PM #4
- Rep Power
I had forgotten about transferring the FSMO roles. Will I also need to make the new DC a global catalogue server too?
Exchange is in good shape.
Thanks for the tip for saving all the share info.
25th February 2010, 12:38 PM #5
DHCP doesnt replicate, infact you dont have it installed on more than 1 PC (well you can but i wont go into that). You can however export and import all the settings and reservations.
Last Post: 10th November 2009, 06:23 AM
By russdev in forum General Chat
Last Post: 14th October 2009, 03:21 PM
By Jobos in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 16th December 2008, 04:40 PM
By Jobos in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 17th September 2008, 12:14 PM
By Dos_Box in forum Windows Vista
Last Post: 25th October 2005, 06:13 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)