+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Learning Scripting in Technical; Hi there i'm looking at learning a few new things and wanted to know how to create scripts. Things like ...

Thank Post

Learning Scripting

Hi there

i'm looking at learning a few new things and wanted to know how to create scripts. Things like startup/logon scripts for various things.

Is there anywhere at all that tells you how to start scripting or any book thats a good beginners guide?

My current boss just says he cobbles them together from other peoples scripts off the internet but i'd like to understand how to write them an what things mean.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmanx View Post
    Hi there

i'm looking at learning a few new things and wanted to know how to create scripts. Things like startup/logon scripts for various things.

Is there anywhere at all that tells you how to start scripting or any book thats a good beginners guide?

My current boss just says he cobbles them together from other peoples scripts off the internet but i'd like to understand how to write them an what things mean.

Thanks
    I am all self taught [ which means I have really bad habits ] - but I would start at the very basic level of batch stuff, then work your way to say VBS, WSH, Powershell, Kix - there are loads of others and you will find your favorite. My favorite is AutoIT and I tend to do most things in that although I must get down and start doing some powerhshell at some point - but at the moment I can't be arsed....

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/
    http://www.robvanderwoude.com/books.php

Is a good starting point.

Books which I use and have learnt a great deal from:

Windows Administration at the command line
    Windows Powershell programming
    Windows Admin Scripting Little Black Book, Second Edition

Happy scripting.
    Last edited by mattx; 23rd February 2010 at 03:43 PM.

Thank Post
    As a reference I've found this site ( WiseSoft - Resources for IT Professionals ) to be helpful.

They also have a Script Builder (which is what your trying to avoid but is useful nonetheless)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    is this not what edugeek is for? have a play if you think it should work and it doesnt then ask one of the very kind people on here. I have taught myself alot of it from other edugeekers helping me when i am trying to put them together. i have just started moving onto PHP which is even more complicated!

Thank Post
    For VBS I use this: VbsEdit - Award-winning VBScript Editor - VBS editor - VBScript debugger - VBS debugger or this: .:: NOTEPAD++ ::. which also supports many other scripting languages.
    VbsEdit comes with a script repository which is appears to be mostly taken from Microsoft's Script Center

You might find this VBScript Tutorial useful though it's more geared towards the web.

Microsoft have their own guide and reference: VBScript

Three tips for scripting/programming:
    1. Keep your code clean and easily readable - I use indents a lot so I can easily see the blocks/loops/conditionals etc...
    2. Use comments. Give each function/subroutine a quick description of what it does and comment complex statements. Don't be afraid to go overboard. You can always trim or remove them once your happy with your script.
    3. Debugging - with complex VBS I usually use message boxes to display what's being held in variables so I can check the program is doing what it's supposed to. I comment them with "debug" so I can easily find and remove them afterwards.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    For VBS I use this: VbsEdit - Award-winning VBScript Editor - VBS editor - VBScript debugger - VBS debugger or this: .:: NOTEPAD++ ::. which also supports many other scripting languages.
    VbsEdit comes with a script repository which is appears to be mostly taken from Microsoft's Script Center

You might find this VBScript Tutorial useful though it's more geared towards the web.

Microsoft have their own guide and reference: VBScript

Three tips for scripting/programming:
    1. Keep your code clean and easily readable - I use indents a lot so I can easily see the blocks/loops/conditionals etc...
    2. Use comments. Give each function/subroutine a quick description of what it does and comment complex statements. Don't be afraid to go overboard. You can always trim or remove them once your happy with your script.
    3. Debugging - with complex VBS I usually use message boxes to display what's being held in variables so I can check the program is doing what it's supposed to. I comment them with "debug" so I can easily find and remove them afterwards.
    ref debugging when dealing with the file system object ( FSO ) I used a text file to output what files / folders it found and also output which ones it should of deleted as text data so it didnt actually delete the files so I could get the script to work as I wanted (more or less ) before trying it
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd February 2010 at 04:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At the risk of starting a religious war, the best starting point is the Microsoft scripting site - Script Center

They ought to know how to use their scripting technologies :-)

9. Thanks to srochford from:

mac_shinobi (23rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    At the risk of starting a religious war, the best starting point is the Microsoft scripting site - Script Center

They ought to know how to use their scripting technologies :-)
    lol @ part highlighted in bold

I put the computer performance one because I use that a lot and it has examples which are more or less walked through numerically etc and it has a lot of examples with ref to wmi, fso, etc
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd February 2010 at 04:28 PM.

Thank Post
    SS64.com Command line reference is always worth a look.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    At the risk of starting a religious war,
    The best thing would be to start with a platform independent language such as Python, because what you learn there will apply to Windows, OSX, Unix, Linux which greatly broadens your horizons.

My current boss just says he cobbles them together from other peoples scripts off the internet
    That's what Open Source code is all about - someone writes some code, and we are all free to use it and adapt it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The best thing would be to start with a platform independent language such as Python, because what you learn there will apply to Windows, OSX, Unix, Linux which greatly broadens your horizons.

That's what Open Source code is all about - someone writes some code, and we are all free to use it and adapt it.
    No, start with Batch, because it's easy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    No, start with Batch, because it's easy.
    Quite right - [ I stated this in my first posting on this ] - it will give you a good understanding to start with, just DON'T use GOTO - learn how to use loops etc otherwise you will end up with spaghetti code - and trust me you don't want to go there....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmanx View Post
    Things like startup/logon scripts for various things. <snip> My current boss just says he cobbles them together from other peoples scripts off the internet but i'd like to understand how to write them an what things mean.
    That sounds like a perfectly good way to start - pick some real task you need to actually do ("learning" tasks really don't work outside a formal classroom environment for programming) and do it, even if you cobble together lines pasted from the Internet someplace. Then figure out how your script works, line by line - follow your program through as if you're the computer executing the code.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    brilliant, thanks everyone for the advice some good information there and some great links to work through. Now all I need is some time.....lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast