+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Possible Mandatory Profile Problem in Technical; We have been using mandatory profiles for students here for over a year now and it works very well indeed. ...
    Thank Post

Possible Mandatory Profile Problem

We have been using mandatory profiles for students here for over a year now and it works very well indeed.

I followed the guide on the wiki pages here to create the small mandatory profile.

During the half term break I have noticed that any new accounts that are created for a staff user (who use roaming profiles) the new profile that is created is a replica of the mandatory profile used by students!

I'm guessing this isn't normal as all the restrictions are also being applied to the newly created staff account.

Its strange that the student accounts all work fine, I only noticed the issue when creating the new accounts because I can't get SIMS to work once the new profile loads.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    A few thoughts:
    How do you create your new staff accounts? I generally copy an existing one and edit the profile path to point to the new member.
    Where do you create the new account? Is it in the same OU as other staff members or in the one for pupils?
    Has the mandatory profile somehow become part of the default domain policy?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    How do you create your new staff accounts? I generally copy an existing one and edit the profile path to point to the new member.
    Depends to be honest sometimes i will create accounts from scratch and other times using the method you mention.

Where do you create the new account? Is it in the same OU as other staff members or in the one for pupils?
    Staff and student accounts are in separate OUs within AD. All new staff accounts are created within the necessary OU for their role i.e Support Staff, Teaching Staff etc.

Has the mandatory profile somehow become part of the default domain policy?
    Don't think this has happened the only change ever made to the mandatory since it was introduced was a couple of updates for new software.

Thank Post
    So if you have differing ways to create new profiles then the settings from the mandatory one appear to have become the default set somehow. Have you tried creating one from a "known good" workstation under the admin account and exporting to your server?

Thank Post
    It looks like the mandatory profile settings have become the default settings for all new profiles.

Staff profiles and work are stored on a separate server to student work and the student mandatory profiles are stored on the same two file servers used for student work. Not sure how the mandatory profile has become the default domain profile.

I haven't tried creating a profile from a working workstation will give that a try tonight.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Do you host a Default User Profile in your NetLogon share? The most likely explanation is that this profile has been updated/edited and is no longer a valid profile. This would affect all new accounts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread