+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Affordable (<200) ntbackup replacement in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Affordable (<200) ntbackup replacement

Scheduled backups with ntbackup have come to a halt on one of our 2003 servers- it complains about lack of free space on the target drive even though there is more than enough. It used to be an intermittent error but it fully refuses to work now and I'm sick of trying to coax it back into operation.

Acronis is way too expensive for us, as is Paragon Drive Backup server and Symantec Backup Exec. Macrium is sanely priced but turned out to be no use as it doesn't support dynamic partitions so I'd have to re-create the data drives as regular partitions to use Macrium and I really don't like the sound of that.

So what affordable (ie sub 200) options are there for someone wanting to do 'live' backups of a 2003 server? I see there are rsync ports for Windows but would rsync preserve ACLs and other cryptic and nasty NTFS metadata type stuff? Whatever we use it'd be nice if the image could be restored off a live CD/ USB drive.

Thank Post
    Try Robocopy, PM me if you want more info on we do it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,443 Posts
    R1Soft CDP???

Thank Post
    i like macrium reflect on 2008 its cheap and works

Thank Post
    Do any of these encrypt?

Thank Post
    So at the moment its CDP vs Robocopy. Does anyone here use CDP? Does it support dynamic partitions? Looks like they have a free version but I dunno what its limitations are.

Thank Post
    I run r1 cdp not sure on the encryption I can check tomorrow.

8. Thanks to plexer from:

laserblazer (15th February 2010)

Thank Post

CDP

plexer:

How long have you been running cdp? Have you found it reliable? Have you successfully restored a Server 2003 CDP backup and did it involve any dynamic partitions?

Have you had any problems with it and are there any features it lacks that may be present in other such tools?

Same to anyone else who is using CDP,

Thanks!

Thank Post
    If I was to go with Robocopy then I would be syncing to a ubuntu (samba) server as thats what we have for a dedicated backup server atm and its working very nicely and I'm not too keen on having a windows one too unless absolutely necessary.

Anyone else here do robocopy backups to a samba share? Any tips for tweaking samba to get the best performance out of this? I'm running Ubuntu Server 9.04 on a XFS partition on the server, choice of OS was mainly down to FOG support.

I have been routing for tips on robocopy/samba usage and I came across this, which I'm going to try out today:

Using Robocopy to Samba (OpenFiler)

Anyone who had to reliably copy a bunch of data between machines SHOULD know robocopy.. I’ve used this tool for many years and it never failed me once..

However: this week i had to migrate a fileserver to new hardware(from Windows 2003 to OpenFiler 2.3) involving copying around 600 Gb of data .. knowing they were connected over a nice 1 Gb lan, i quickly wrote up a little script using robocopy to be able to mirror the original one to the new one, then at the point of the migration itself, i could just do an incremental update of the data changed between my original copy and the migration.. This all worked out fine except for the almost famous Timestamp bug on folders..

THis bug is easily solved in RoboCopy XP026 (XP027 is vista only and does not run on < Vista /Windows Server 2008 (where they FINALLY included robocopy in the OS -> thanks ms)

robocopy \\sourceserver\sourceshare \\destinationserver\destinationshare /TIMFIX /DCOPY:T /MIR /B /E /W:5 /R:5

But then, when i tryed to do the update, it all went evil.. for some odd reason, robocopy decided that ALL files where newer.. setting of to copy the whole 600 Gb AGAIN !

After a lot of searching, i finally found this link: Nas to Nas Mirror suggesting using the FAT Filesystem Timestamp.. Now.. using NTFS on the origin side and samba (with XFS underlying ) on the other.. but apparently: it works leading me to believe that samba addresses it’s disk with fat style timestamping !..

Eitherway: for all people having the robocopy re-copies (or mirrors ) all files as new(newer): /FFT is your flag you need to add !

The actual command i should have used is:

robocopy \\sourceserver\sourceshare \\destinationserver\destinationshare /TIMFIX /DCOPY:T /MIR /B /E /W:5 /R:5 /FTT

11. Thanks to danboid from:

Alis_Klar (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Bacula, the Open Source, Enterprise ready, Network Backup Tool for Linux, Unix, and Windows

Found the below but not sure how much use this is :

http://amanda.zmanda.com/

There was another one that elludes me for the time being that seemed pretty good but not sure if it was free or not.

list from wikipedia both free and commercial ( It was yosemite I was thinking of )

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software[/ame]
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 16th February 2010 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danboid View Post
    plexer:

How long have you been running cdp? Have you found it reliable? Have you successfully restored a Server 2003 CDP backup and did it involve any dynamic partitions?

Have you had any problems with it and are there any features it lacks that may be present in other such tools?

Same to anyone else who is using CDP,

Thanks!
    I've been running it for a few months, I don't have any dynamic volumes which are being backed up with it but as it's doing block level backup I expect it would be ok, drop R1Soft an email or something.

Yes it supports encryption.

I have done a pxe boot bare metal restore with it just to test it and that worked fine.

Ben

Thank Post
    plexer:

Sounds good. If I can't get a FOSS or free backup solution working then I'll keep CDP in mind.

Mac_shinobi:

Yes, I should've thought to check out the wikip page on backup software.

At the moment there is only the one w2k3 server in need of a working automated backup solution so z/amanda and bacula sound like total overkill for what I'm trying to do.

Unfortunately I didn't find time to experiment with robocopy today, but right now I'm most interested in hearing peoples experiences with BackupPC. Its homepage makes no mention of support for any of the Windows server OSs so I'm wondering if I might be out of luck with that one?

BackupPC: Open Source Backup to disk

Thank Post
    Backup Assist is a good one and really cheap and does exactly what its supposed to do, 139.

16. Thanks to jsnetman from:

superfletch (13th February 2011)

Thank Post
    I've done some more reading round this and BackupPC would not be suitable for my use case as it is based upon rsync and rsync doesn't support transfer/ backup of Windows ACLs:

BackupPC FAQ: Limitations

However, it looks like it is possible to copy a w2k3 server to a samba server with ACLs preserved via the 'net rpc share MIGRATE' command:

Samba Administration Guide - File and Directory Migration

Thank Post
    Rather than attempt to backup the w2k3 server with the aforementioned samba command, I now think I'd stand a much better chance of backing up the files to a samba share by using robocopy to do the file copying and using icacls to store NTFS permissions in a separate file which would also get copied over to the samba share.

I have read that icacls only stores DACL and not SACL permissions so could this cause a problem? We take down this server periodically to do a full image with clonezilla so I mainly want the daily online backup service to backup and restore the user data w/ all permissions intact but it would be a great bonus if I could use the same backup system (ie robocopy and icacls) to cover the system software, config and apps etc. too but I suspect this is where SACL support may be necessary?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast