+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Server 2003 Folder Re Direction Problem in Technical; Hi All I recently took over a school that has a few issues the main one being that someone tried ...

Thank Post

Server 2003 Folder Re Direction Problem

Hi All I recently took over a school that has a few issues the main one being that someone tried to set up about 3 different desktop locations over the space of several months changing it each month now i am getting issues with users reporting that different desktops are being displayed now I have one set up i notice that this is the issue on alot of laptops. I am wondering is there an easy way to force the new desktop over the one stored on the laptop itself or is it a case of using delprof on each one. Thanks guys

bio
    Thank Post
    This link will get you started on how to configure it :

BleepingComputer.com > Roaming Profiles - Setup

bio..

Thank Post
    also try "gpupdate /force" on all the workstations

Thank Post
    Hi Bio Ive set up the profile and using Group policy to roll it out although haven't assigned it to users via AD it im getting loads of issues with the wrong desktop being displayed as Ive totally changed the old path. Im thinking of re imaging to get this sorted Thanks Sharkster ive tried doing gpupdate but nothing has worked its most defiantly loading the profile it has stored to the PC. Thanks for your help guys anything else you can thing would be appreciated

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1565 View Post
    Hi All I recently took over a school that has a few issues the main one being that someone tried to set up about 3 different desktop locations over the space of several months changing it each month now i am getting issues with users reporting that different desktops are being displayed now I have one set up i notice that this is the issue on alot of laptops. I am wondering is there an easy way to force the new desktop over the one stored on the laptop itself or is it a case of using delprof on each one. Thanks guys
    Hi

I am a bit confused by the explanation you have given and what your problem is the title of the tread is server 2003 folder re direction problem but you are talking about different desktops.

Do you mean different wallpapers?
    Do you mean different icons?
    Do you mean folders are not being redirected?

If is a problem withe different wallpaper use bg info to set the wallpaper with a startup script for the machine and a log on script for the user.

If its different icons. Remember that when you redirect destop icons it can combine icons from the all users and the redirected folder. Check the results for the machines and users reports in group policy to see if the same group policies are being applied and in what order.

Check the settings in the folder redirection policy and see if you have more than one group policy redirecting folders.

Check that you have run gpupdate /force /boot on xp machines.

Check that replication is happening between domain controller

Check dns is working

Richard

Thank Post
    Hi Thanks for your reply we re direct the students desktops to a location on the server //servername/profiles/students/desktops when i changed the path in AD to this it still brought up the old Desktops //servername/dekstops/students/yeargroup Ive checked AD and nothing appears in any policy for this we are going to re image the school i think the server was not set up by ourselves either so maybe a fresh clean Server 2003 install. Im only in this school 3 hours a week so its hard to diagnose anything

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread