+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, CC3 WSUS in Technical; Apologies if this is in the wrong place but couldn't find anywhere else that seemed more fitting. Now in light ...

Thank Post

CC3 WSUS

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but couldn't find anywhere else that seemed more fitting.

Now in light of CC4 using WSUS to connect to RM's servers and then push out the approved updates, what about CC3? Would it not be possible to setup a WSUS install and then point that to RM instead of Microsoft for all of the windows updates?

Now i've not looked into how it works in CC4 at the moment but just had this thought running around in my head

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The way RM WSUS works is that WSUS points to MS servers and then in RMMC they just pull an xml file that filters the approved RM updates.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,918 Posts
    In theory would there be any problem if you only installed the updates which RM have listed on their website for CC3 but install them via WSUS instead of downloading and allocating the hotfixes RM have packaged up?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Unfortunately I suspect RM's official reply will be yes, upgrade to CC4 which for a simple thing like WSUS is a little ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure I remember other CC3 admins on these forums installing WSUS (without any problems), then implementing a registry update on all CC3 workstations so they behave as if they were in a vanilla environment.

In theory you could then just approve all Microsoft updates automatically or only approve the updates RM approve.

Previously I've created workstation images which included XP SP3 and as many post hotfixes possible, then running RM SmartClient to join the domain created no problems whatsoever.

Thank Post
    Thanks all, some things to think about there.

The main reason behind wanting to use WSUS is to stop having the manually check, download and then apply all the updates every so often. Normally they end up being during a holiday as my time at the school is manic during the term.

Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    The way RM WSUS works is that WSUS points to MS servers and then in RMMC they just pull an xml file that filters the approved RM updates.
    I assume that xml file is updated automatically somehow everytime the management console is opened? Anyway to implement that into WSUS for CC3?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread