+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Server 2003 Problems in Technical; Have what seem to be a really strange issue with a new server whch has been setup for testing purposes. ...
    Thank Post

Server 2003 Problems

Have what seem to be a really strange issue with a new server whch has been setup for testing purposes.

Problem is really starting to annoy me so I am hoping someone on here can help since Google hasn't come up with much.

The server is running 2003 R2 with SP2, it's part of the domain and sits in the Members Server OU within AD and has been setup as a File Server with a static IP.

When loggging on with the built in domain Administrator account or in fact any domain admin account the user can access shares on the network but can't run any applications or scripts. Opening files isn't an issue as I have found out the the user can open up text files it just seems to be an issue with running applications from network resources. There haven't been any changes to any permissions on the school network at all.

The issue happens when accessing the netlogon folder and any of the server drivers (\\servername\c$) keep getting an error message about not having permissions to the resource even though the account is a domain administrator.

Don't get any of these issues when using the same accounts on any other servers in the school, the server in question was configured using a standard 2003 disk so I'm not sure what has gone wrong!

Thank Post
    Have you tryed to right click the file, choose properties and then seeing if there is button marked 'unblock'. Click it and then if that works for you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It will probably be to do with the Internet Explorer security settings as I had this issue as well. You'll probably find if you copy the file from the network location to a local drive it will let you open it (or go to sysvol through the system folders rather then the unc).

Can't remember the exact settings to put in as I shut my machine down tonight because I'd had enough, but I think it was the Local Intranet zone, untick the automatic box and tick the 3 boxes underneath (not 100% on that one) and then add in the network paths in the advanced bit and you should be back.

I'd compare it to one of your other servers and see what the settings are and set them the same.

4. Thanks to Cache from:

AngryITGuy (3rd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Think Cache is on the right lines. Try removing IE7 Enhanced Security from Add/Remove>Windows Components

6. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post
    Remove / Rejoin domain?

+1 more for IE Enhanced Security Config, sounds like a good shout.

8. Thanks to superfletch from:

Thank Post
    @ superfletch, remove and rejoining the domain was one of the first things I tried but it didn't do the job.

@ Cache, yes copying the files from the network location to the server resolves the issue with permissions. Will take a look at the Internet Explorer Security settings tomorrow fingers crossed it will work as it really is starting to annoy me now

Thank Post
    You might check the Effective Permissions on some of the folders to see if anything unusual is going on. Under advanced security, should be the last tab.

Thank Post
    Yeah - its the IE enhanced security thing - completely confused me the first time - you have to add your server to the trusted zone - or you can uninstall the whole thing if it annoys too much

12. Thanks to SpuffMonkey from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    As well as removing the IE Enhanced Security, on your server within IE add your server to your trusted sites.

Tools > Internet Options > Security (tab) Trusted Sites > Sites

Add
    Code:
    http://SERVERNAME

14. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    BIG THANK YOU to everyone for pointing me towards the settings for IE Enhanced Security.

What a carry on have added the server to the trusted zone to resolve the issue, that will teach me for blindly applying updates to a server good thing it was only a test rig!

Many thanks again everyone

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread