+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Desktop synchronization between XP and Server 2003 in Technical; Good morning, Many of my users are having a problem whereby any changes they make to their desktop (mainly the ...

Thank Post

Desktop synchronization between XP and Server 2003

Good morning,

Many of my users are having a problem whereby any changes they make to their desktop (mainly the files they keep there) are obliterated next time they log on. So they delete filename.doc from the desktop, log off and later log on again, and filename.doc will be restored to their desktop. This is infuriating when they've taken half an hour to tidy up their desktop and the whole gamut of crap is returned as though nothing happened. The only way I've found to fix this is to logon to the server as admin, and delete the files stored in their profile folder there.

They have domain logons from XP to a Windows 2003 server, the permissions are correct, they do not use offline files per se, although often take their laptops home where the domain is not available. They often stay logged on for days at a time (possibly longer) just putting their laptop to sleep rather than restarting each day.

Any ideas? Google knows nothing.

Thanks in advance.

--
    Simon

Thank Post
    The only way that I've found for dealing with this:
    Ban the user from the network for the duration of the following tasks:
    1. Take their machine away
    2. Delete any local cached profile for the user
    3. Do the same on any other machine they might have been on
    4. Clear the offline cache
    5. Delete any files, folders etc from the Server profile of that user
    6. Hand the machine back with stern warnings about misusing the desktop space

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    1. Take their machine away
    2. Delete any local cached profile for the user
    3. Do the same on any other machine they might have been on
    4. Clear the offline cache
    5. Delete any files, folders etc from the Server profile of that user
    6. Hand the machine back with stern warnings about misusing the desktop space
    I will go through something like that if they absolutely *insist* on it. But frankly "misuse" of the desktop is how they all tend to work: it's like "My Documents" doesn't exist. Is it specifically related to using the desktop? If using My Docs would help, I can probably email a missive to them saying to put all non-current files there rather than on the desktop.

To give you an idea, on a 1600x1200 screen, they often have the whole screen covered with icons. It's usually at that point they decide to do a bit of housekeeping and that's where the problems with synchronisation start.

--
    Simon

Thank Post
    What is the profile setup for these users are they using roaming profiles? and is it located in the same share/location as the home drive?

Quote Originally Posted by m0nty View Post
    Good morning,

Many of my users are having a problem whereby any changes they make to their desktop (mainly the files they keep there) are obliterated next time they log on. So they delete filename.doc from the desktop, log off and later log on again, and filename.doc will be restored to their desktop. This is infuriating when they've taken half an hour to tidy up their desktop and the whole gamut of crap is returned as though nothing happened. The only way I've found to fix this is to logon to the server as admin, and delete the files stored in their profile folder there.

They have domain logons from XP to a Windows 2003 server, the permissions are correct, they do not use offline files per se, although often take their laptops home where the domain is not available. They often stay logged on for days at a time (possibly longer) just putting their laptop to sleep rather than restarting each day.

Any ideas? Google knows nothing.

Thanks in advance.

--
    Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phillock View Post
    What is the profile setup for these users are they using roaming profiles? and is it located in the same share/location as the home drive?
    Yes, they have roaming profiles although I'll probably convert them to non-roaming at some point (they use laptops, after all). They have a home drive in one share, and profiles located in another. Hence:

H: ... Home drive ... \\server\username$
    Profile location ... \\server\profiles$\staff\username

My Docs is redirected to H: and various other resources are connected using a login script.

--
    Simon

Thank Post
    are the syncronization issues over a wired or wireless network?

we have this problem at the school, i find the easiest way of sorting it is taking a copy of the profile then deleting the original, so they get a new (empty) one.

Then when they come to you to say they cant find a file that was on the desktop copy it to their my docs. This is why you need a copy of it!

nick

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bart21 View Post
    are the syncronization issues over a wired or wireless network?

we have this problem at the school, i find the easiest way of sorting it is taking a copy of the profile then deleting the original, so they get a new (empty) one.

Then when they come to you to say they cant find a file that was on the desktop copy it to their my docs. This is why you need a copy of it!

nick
    Thanks, I'll try the replacing-the-profile trick, since we do that with the kids' accounts anyway (much improved since we started using mandatory profiles though). I'm going to start urging people to use My Docs more often -- I think most of them probably aren't even aware it exists.

--
    Simon

Thank Post
    Redirect the desktop to a read only share, putting all relevant resources and icons needed, and then make it read only to staff.

Problem should go away.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread