+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Removing Old Server References in Technical; I could of sworn I already posted this, but it appears to have disappeared! Anyway .. Right, brief overview (and ...
    Thank Post

Removing Old Server References

I could of sworn I already posted this, but it appears to have disappeared! Anyway ..

Right, brief overview (and I apologise if this has been answered before, but doing a few searches I didn't really come up with anything)..

• I start work and they have a entry level server in place
    • I set the server up properly and then realise it's not up to the job
    • we use redirected folders to ensure that staff work etc gets backed up by the server
    • I get a new server and that all works fine
    • Most machines use the new server brilliantly and sync to the right place
    • A few machines still are referencing to the old server which is causing issues
    • I need to remove these references, preferably using some form of automation via GPO

Right, so that's the brief overview, one example of the issue is that a member of staff saved some photos to "My Documents\My Pictures\Folder" which should save to "\\newserver\generics\user\My Documents\My Pictures\Folder" but instead saved to "\\oldserver\generics\user\My Documents\My Pictures\Folder" so when they went to a machine that was working as it should do, they couldn't see this folder and panic started ..

The folder was found on the old server and they are happy again, but how can I remove it and stop it happening? Any suggestions?

Both servers running Windows 2003 R2, all machines are Windows XP Pro SP3.

Ta

Thank Post
    Sounds like this could be local profile related. Try deleting the local profile for one of the users having this issue. Also enforce a GPO update of the device.

Thank Post
    I'm trying to find exactly the same thing. Profiles referring to an old location, I can see it on synchronising of folders. Trouble is on more than one occasion I've deleted the local profile on all the machines I find it on, only for it to reappear somewhere else. Needle in haystack time - again.

Not too concerned at the moment as the old reference still works (well I've reinstated it anyway) but shortly the machine will be de-commissioned, so I want to eradicate before then. Another issue of more concern is a reference to an old IP address which doesn't have anything on the end of it - can't find what it is that's looking for that one, unfortunately.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djm968 View Post
    Sounds like this could be local profile related. Try deleting the local profile for one of the users having this issue. Also enforce a GPO update of the device.
    Tried this .. I'm bored of typing gpupdate /force /boot! lol .. Also tried deleting local profiles. It sometimes works .. but there are a couple it still stumbles on ..

Thank Post
    rename oldserver to olderserver and then create a dns entry for "oldserver" which points at newserver

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread