+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, RM Management in Technical; Hi Guys, Im slowly getting to grips with RM management! however i need to change the OU's some of the ...

Thank Post

RM Management

Hi Guys,
    Im slowly getting to grips with RM management! however i need to change the OU's some of the data is pointing to! in the work stations tab under the that is main site and then your OU's. I wish to change the PC's i have in here to a new OU but need RM management console to point to them, How do i do that? Also when i right click a workstation and try to set a priviledge user its looking at the users old accounts in the old ou

bloggsj in the non teaching staff ou when it should be pointing to jbloggs in the teachers OU?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Thank Post
    You should be able to right click the user in RMMC and select Move (or something like that) from the context menu, then select the destination. In the event that it fails (which is not uncommon), use Windows Explorer to move the user home folder from H:\rmusers\non-teaching staff\work\etc to H:\rmusers\teaching staff\work\etc, then run a healthcheck. It's also not uncommon for the local cached profile to still be pointing the user shell folder %Personal% (ie My Docs) property to the old folder location, regardless of whether the RMMC successfully completed the move or not. In which case, reset the profile and delete local copies of the profile on the workstation that the user most commonly uses.

Thank Post
    I dont need to move the user to the new ou.

Old OU
    A2l
    Establishments
    Pupil

NEW OU
    test OU
    Pupils

For example when i try to add a user into the privedge users it points to the A2l OU however i need it to point to the test OU which i cant seem to do. This is the same as the computers as they are now in a different OU. If that makes any more sense?
    Last edited by ginger9991; 15th November 2009 at 02:43 PM.

Thank Post
    So, are you saying that you want to move the computer/user accounts outside the parent Establishments OU? If this is the case, I don't think you'll be able to use the RM Management Console to manage them. Even it was technically possible, I suspect you'd be be making problems for yourself in the future when you need support from RM, or come to install and RM update (eg a service release).

Or are you saying that when you create an account in the RMMC, it creates the Active Directory account in a different OU than the one you expected?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Although Active Directory is running in the background you shouldn't actually use it to manage anything. You should use the RMMC (as you're using an RM network). To be honest though if you're confident in managing/supporting a network using Active Directory you can probably do without the RMMC altogether.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I concur, if you're using the RM system, you need to use it wholly and avoid touching AD outside of the management console for anything other than troubleshooting/diagnostic reasons. You can do everything you need from within the console. RM's management console works with, on top of and separately from AD in different areas, so fiddling with AD on it's own can and will severely break things.

Thank Post
    Advice noted! Thanks for all your help on this topic!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Although Active Directory is running in the background you shouldn't actually use it to manage anything. You should use the RMMC (as you're using an RM network). To be honest though if you're confident in managing/supporting a network using Active Directory you can probably do without the RMMC altogether.
    That said, there are times when RM will point you directly to AD and tell you to use that instead.

Thank Post
    That said, there are times when RM will point you directly to AD and tell you to use that instead.
    Well speaking with their support team they've never directed me to AD, but I have fixed problems myself going through the AD route.

Thank Post
    While that's fairly sensible advice for those unfamiliar with RM CC*, it's not fair to say that you can't use standard MMCs for a lot of admin tasks as you would with vanilla workstations, once you know what will/won't cause problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good time to point out that RM also have a forum called RM Communities:

RM Community Page

Regards

GJE

Thank Post
    While that's fairly sensible advice for those unfamiliar with RM CC*, it's not fair to say that you can't use standard MMCs for a lot of admin tasks as you would with vanilla workstations, once you know what will/won't cause problems.
    I suppose it's upto the individual how they manage their network but RM (as far as I know) still recommend you use their console. As I said already, if you're experienced enough and confident enough of setting up and managing a vanilla network, you don't actually need RM at all. You could then use MMC as much as you like

Thank Post
    Well speaking with their support team they've never directed me to AD, but I have fixed problems myself going through the AD route.
    I've got a few calls logged where they've said try the AD route. I guess it depends on whether or not they can solve the problem without!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread