+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, PC's refuse to login to domain unless rebooted a few times in Technical; Hi All, I have recently offered to help out doing the IT in a school. I have never worked in ...

Thank Post

PC's refuse to login to domain unless rebooted a few times

Hi All,
    I have recently offered to help out doing the IT in a school. I have never worked in a RM enviroment and im finding it a bit of a mere! I believe they (the school) have had quite a few coyboys recently and its a bit of a mess finding out what these guys have done! One issue i am having is that random PC wont logon complaining of not being able to log on locally. Now i have checked these PC's do get IP address but they still wont log on! I have to reboot them a few times before it allows you to login to the domain. Any help? Its a CC3 network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you remove it from the domain and rejoin?
    Is the machine fully patched up with all updates?
    Do you have a firewall on the system? if so disable it.
    Also i would upgrade the network card drivers.

Thank Post
    Network card drivers on the device or on the server hsp thing?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The client machine, the one having the problem

Thank Post
    we find that this happens some times at our school, normally a rebuild using a build disk solves it.

Word of advice, dont't remove and rejoin any RM CC3 (and maybe 4) machine as there are also RM parts to it that normally break that cant be fixed. or that is what we have found anyway,

Best thing to do is get the Hareware Support Packs(HSP's) up to date on the servers, get a fresh floppy disc and create it using RM Rebuild Manager and then rebuild a machine, if there is still a problem then get onto RM as its possibly a Hardware issue.

Thank Post
    Cheers guys! Im having this issue with several machines so i dont think its hardware but they are all eco quiets! Where do i get the HSP's from? And doesnt it cost to get them from RM? Also havent seen anything on the RM rebuilds! Can anyone provide any info! Again much appreciated for the help here!

Thank Post
    If the computers haven't got floppy drives then hopefully somewhere you'll find a special USB memory stick which will pretend to be a floppy drive.

Basically you start up the build disk manager and insert floppy disk, choose the 'Standard' build disk and let it write to the disk. Then insert the USB stick, it should show up as floppy drive B. Then do a disk copy from A to B. Then boot the machine you want to rebuild with the stick in it.

If the 'Standard' build disk doesn't have the required DOS drivers to use the network card then it won't work, you then have to either install the latest hardware support packs from RM which will update the 'Standard' build disk or use the build disk manager to manually add the drivers.

Be warned that if you install the lastest RM hardware support packs then it will remove older drivers from the 'Standard' disk and move them to the 'Legacy' build disk configuration, so if you have older equipment you might have to use that as well.

I'm not sure if you have to be under a support agreement to be able to download the HSPs from RM, if you can't get them let me know and i'll try and get you the drivers from our build area. You should be able to run a utility called RM Version Reporter or something like that to see which HSPs you already have installed.

Thank Post
    If a rebuild with the latest HSP doesn't fix, can you clarify whether you see the Applying Computer/Security settings messages while they start Windows? Assuming you are able to eventually logon, or remotely access the computer, do you see any errors in the Windows app/sys logs relating to network issues, such as "can't find domain/any domain controllers"? If you see these then this type of issue can usually be resolved/worked-around by updating NIC drivers, adjusting switch settings, or adjusting the network/DHCP timeout settings in the registry.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread