+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Synchronising Offline / Online users in Technical; Hi I need a little help and advice. We have some networked fizzbooks for our students (Primary School). I want ...
    Thank Post

Synchronising Offline / Online users

Hi

I need a little help and advice.

We have some networked fizzbooks for our students (Primary School). I want the children to be able to take them home, log on, do their work, save it, log off bring them in to school and when they log on to the network all the work they did on the laptop is synchronised with the school server... All the users have the same logon username and password.

Is there a way for the children to be able to log onto the fizzbook under the school domain, at home, even when the domain isn't available?

Hope this makes sense!

Jay

Thank Post
    Sounds like you only have one question about logging on when offline. If it's on a Microsoft domain and the one user has already logged in, it should cache the account so you can login when offline.

If you're looking about saving the folder to the server that would be a whole different issue.

3. Thanks to Nixphoe from:

marsdenprimary (16th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi Nixphoe,

Does this mean that it will sync with the server when it is available? When they log on at school? Meaning all the work they did at home...is transferred to the server automatically?

Thank Post
    I can think of two ways of doing that.
    1 is to create a login script that would copy the file over to a shared folder.
    2 would be the more traditional way. Have my documents redirection setup and make sure they save their file to the my documents each time. You could probably lock the user down to only save in that location. Offline file sync would take care of the rest. Can't think off the top of my head if that would only sync on log off though.

6. Thanks to Nixphoe from:

marsdenprimary (16th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Nice one.

What i've done is set the redirect my documents policy. Are there any settings in particular that need to be there? Do I need to turn on the 'move the contents of my documents to the new location'?

Hope i'm not being a pain!

Thank Post
    You'll want to set this up
    Configuring Group Policy for Offline Files: Group Policy
    This could cause some problems however since it will be just 1 user, it will sync all files that are setup as the my documents. So you could run into some issues with over writen files.

Hmm, thinking about it. It might be a better idea to have some kind of batch file in the startup folder.
    Have it check for a server is online and if it is copy a file to the server share.
    Depending on how you want it setup. That way you at least stay away from any sync issues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixphoe View Post
    You'll want to set this up
    Configuring Group Policy for Offline Files: Group Policy
    This could cause some problems however since it will be just 1 user, it will sync all files that are setup as the my documents. So you could run into some issues with over writen files.

Hmm, thinking about it. It might be a better idea to have some kind of batch file in the startup folder.
    Have it check for a server is online and if it is copy a file to the server share.
    Depending on how you want it setup. That way you at least stay away from any sync issues.
    Cheers mate,

This looks like a good way of doing it. How do i create aforementioned batch file?

Jay
    xxx

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread