+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, upgrade to SQL2005 express error "ExecuteReader requires an open and available... in Technical; Hi all i hope someone can help. I'm required to upgrade SQL on our PCE forensic server to SQL 2005 ...

Thank Post

upgrade to SQL2005 express error "ExecuteReader requires an open and available...

Hi all i hope someone can help.

I'm required to upgrade SQL on our PCE forensic server to SQL 2005 Express but i'm having a problem.

Once i get to the stage where it asks for an existing instance, i point it to what it should be upgrading but when it starts "analyzing" i am presented with an error stating....

Database Engine
    ExecuteReader requires an open and available connection. The connection''s current state is closed
    Does this mean anything to anyone? I just can't get my head around it

thanks alot

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I had a similar error today on SIMS our MIS system and it appears to be a timeout issue.
    The solution for me, was to add a line in a configuration file to set the commandtimeout to 10000, this was a known solution but i had removed it for testing while tweaking some other log on issues.

ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.
    The odd thing is that it occurs whilst i am in the application running a report to return photos. The report takes only a minute or two to work.

However, yesterday i was running huge long reports that took 20 mins to run, and had no issue even without the commandtimeout variable set. Odd.

I can only imagine, that the other large reports had constant data flow, and the photo reports were being run server side and then timing out whilst the data was transferred across the network to me.

Sorry if it's not much help, i'm assuming the two errors are linked.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread