+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Computers not recognising domain in Technical; There are a few computers that periodically won't log on to the domain. If I join them to a workgroup ...

Thank Post

Computers not recognising domain

There are a few computers that periodically won't log on to the domain. If I join them to a workgroup and then back to the domain it sorts it.

Thank Post
    Have you tried logging on locally and seeing if they are picking up an ip address. I have a couple of switches that have to be rebooted occasionally. Plus some nic cards have to have the latest drivers. You get this sometimes when the switch is new and an old driver is old. I also have 2 machines that refuse to talk to the network and have to be plugged into another switch and then they work fine for months. I have no idea why.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Those computers in question aren't losing there time ie needs a new cmos battery are they ?

Also as above latest network card drivers and connectivity - what make of switch are they connecting to and what make and model of network cards are they.

Also seen a few places on here and elsewhere where just disabling onboard nic and using a dedicated one ie an Intel Network card - PCI or PCI E

Also am assuming on the network card it has the Microsoft Network Client installed

Thank Post
    I can ping the server and a couple are brand new. Wouldn't the BIOS pick up a time issue? If it happens again, I might try giving them a static IP and see if that helps identify the problem area.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I can ping the server and a couple are brand new. Wouldn't the BIOS pick up a time issue? If it happens again, I might try giving them a static IP and see if that helps identify the problem area.
    As long as its within the 5 min time of the server then it should be fine but would be good to know if static ip details helps at all

Thank Post
    Beat me to posting this problem as well, got a trolley of netbooks (yes imaged and all have new Sids) yet every so often one seems to drop of the domain, as shinobi says, removing from domain, adding to workgroup then back to domain does the trick and it's happy as larry again. Is there a quick scripted way of doing this fix so I can allow a competent member of staff to do this for me when I'm not there untill we find a solution?

Thank Post
    Shot in the dark, but an easy one to miss and it does match your symptoms exactly: 2 machines with the same name on the network??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    Shot in the dark, but an easy one to miss and it does match your symptoms exactly: 2 machines with the same name on the network??
    Two of the computers are next door to each other! I shall go and look but will probably not own up if you're right

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    ....., as shinobi says, removing from domain, adding to workgroup then back to domain does the trick and it's happy as larry again. Is there a quick scripted way of doing this fix so I can allow a competent member of staff to do this for me when I'm not there untill we find a solution?
    I'm impressed as We must be telepathic or someit as I don't recall saying that as it was already in the question lol but thanks for the credit

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, I have this exact same problem occasionally.
    Never did find a cure so just rejoin to domain but would be good to know why this happens.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I'm impressed as We must be telepathic or someit as I don't recall saying that as it was already in the question lol but thanks for the credit

OOps!
    Meant to put Laserblazer!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Never did find a cure so just rejoin to domain but would be good to know why this happens.
    We had a similar-ish problem: when joining new machines to the domain, using a standard network setup (i.e. with the workstation getting an IP address via DHCP) the machine would sometimes fail to find the Domain Controller. However, when we set a fixed IP address it would work just fine. In the end, we found that using the fully-qualified domain name (CONVENT.altonconvent.org.uk instead of just CONVENT) solved the problem, although going to the command line and pinging CONVENT seemed to work just fine.

Never did get to the root of the problem, which I vaugly think is something to do with DHCP, DNS, Windows, Linux (which our DHCP and DNS servers run on), all, none, or something else entirely.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Interesting, I have this exact same problem occasionally.
    It seems to be happening regularly with one computer, which might make it easy to fix.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    It seems to be happening regularly with one computer, which might make it easy to fix.
    Replaced the bios battery? More than a 5 minute drift will stop kerberos working. Using GPO rather than a logon script to set the time (if you do use logon) usually works more constantly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Replaced the bios battery? More than a 5 minute drift will stop kerberos working. Using GPO rather than a logon script to set the time (if you do use logon) usually works more constantly.
    Got an NTP Server setup that the clients point to via GPO ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast