+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Computers not recognising domain in Technical; Originally Posted by TechSupp OOps! Meant to put Laserblazer!!!! Not to worry - just made me laugh is all...
  1. #16

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,756
    Thank Post
    3,265
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    OOps!
    Meant to put Laserblazer!!!!
    Not to worry - just made me laugh is all

  2. #17

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,134
    Thank Post
    1,373
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    I have a couple that do it as well. Putting the whole domain name in, eg: school.local rather than just SCHOOL does seem to stop it happening quite so often but I have never found a solution. Different machines, different locations, different switches.
    Sometimes if I move a computer - making sure it is properly switched off first - the same thing happens.
    I wish I could get to the bottom of it.

  3. #18

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,756
    Thank Post
    3,265
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I have a couple that do it as well. Putting the whole domain name in, eg: school.local rather than just SCHOOL does seem to stop it happening quite so often but I have never found a solution. Different machines, different locations, different switches.
    Sometimes if I move a computer - making sure it is properly switched off first - the same thing happens.
    I wish I could get to the bottom of it.
    because school.local as apposed to school stops it from happening as often if you do an nslookup on school.local versus just school are there any differences ?

    Also wondering if there is a GPO setting somewhere thats been missed or could be configured ?

    Not tried this as not got a server setup at home or ought like that but instead of trying to enter in the name of the server ( whether or not its the FQDN or not ) if you use the IP Address of the server instead ( not sure if thats a viable option or not ) ???
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 11th November 2009 at 05:54 PM.

  4. #19


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,413
    Thank Post
    1,436
    Thanked 876 Times in 562 Posts
    Rep Power
    645
    I thought it might be using the short domain name but it doesn't make any difference here. In fact when the domain welcome message pops up the domain name automatically changes to its long version ie. domain.local. Tomorrow, I'm going to try renaming the computer that keeps doing it and see what happens.

  5. #20


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,413
    Thank Post
    1,436
    Thanked 876 Times in 562 Posts
    Rep Power
    645
    I've renamed the most persistent offender but I noticed the last username had been entered incorrectly, so it wouldn't have logged on. There's isn't an obscure server 2003 function that locks out a computer after so many invalid logins?

  6. #21

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,756
    Thank Post
    3,265
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I've renamed the most persistent offender but I noticed the last username had been entered incorrectly, so it wouldn't have logged on. There's isn't an obscure server 2003 function that locks out a computer after so many invalid logins?
    There is a utility which afaik is apart of the 2003 resource kit

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

    Lockoutstatus.exe: Account Lockout Status (documented in Readme.htm)

    Think the above one is the one I am thinking of - this should be able to assist and let you know if its locked out or not.

    Not sure what settings are required to do or set the amount of login attempts that are a maximum amount of login attempts that are allowed - would be good to find out / know though.

    Am guessing it may be something to do with group policy in the security section ?? * SHRUGS *

  7. #22

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,134
    Thank Post
    1,373
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    because school.local as apposed to school stops it from happening as often if you do an nslookup on school.local versus just school are there any differences ?

    Also wondering if there is a GPO setting somewhere thats been missed or could be configured ?

    Not tried this as not got a server setup at home or ought like that but instead of trying to enter in the name of the server ( whether or not its the FQDN or not ) if you use the IP Address of the server instead ( not sure if thats a viable option or not ) ???
    No, no differences between school and school.local - and it doesnt always stop it happening, or rather, some machines with the problem have school.local already.

    Got a new server over the summer running Server 2008 so the whole lot is new - but still got the problem! If anyone knows of a GPO setting, I would be grateful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10th February 2010, 12:48 PM
  2. Users being able to add 10 computers to a domain
    By Ben-BSH in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 5th November 2009, 10:53 AM
  3. PC Not Recognising USB Device
    By enjay in forum Hardware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16th November 2007, 03:26 PM
  4. Can't connect new computers to my domain?
    By Blind in forum Windows
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2nd August 2007, 10:42 PM
  5. Refusing Non domain Computers
    By BKGarry in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30th March 2006, 05:47 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •