+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Users being able to add 10 computers to a domain in Technical; Well, thanks all, and I'm glad I brought up an issue which other people now are aware of! and who ...
    Thank Post
    Well, thanks all, and I'm glad I brought up an issue which other people now are aware of!

and who said Microsoft courses were useless!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    OK, it's a design flaw then. Which ever way you look at it, it's a little bit daft.

I feel it is as well but as I say MS had a reason for it (I'll try to find the article) and this reason prevented them from changing it in 2003 and 2008 server (or did they finally change it in 2008).

I seem to remember the rational was that they didn't feel that adding a computer account presented an issue as their user account would still have policy and restrictions applied, they also couldn't move the computer account from the default computers container to receive software or station specific settings as they wouldn't have that right. I'm assuming that they weren't factoring in virus issues.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 4th November 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Yep I remember reading an interview with an MS employee who worked on the AD design team. They just decided on a number out of the blue, he had a reason for it that I can't remember now but I remember laughing at it.
    Hang on, sudden thought: does a user with a Windows XP Home or similar machine connecting to a network file share count as "joining" a domain?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Hang on, sudden thought: does a user with a Windows XP Home or similar machine connecting to a network file share count as "joining" a domain?

--
    David Hicks
    If they authenticate, then a CAL is probably required.

5. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

dhicks (5th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Surely user would need to be local Admin on the PC to add it to domain.

The way I understood this setup was that although user is allowed to add a computer to the domain, the computer account would have to already have been created. Has anyone actually tested this?

7. Thanks to ajbritton from:

dhicks (5th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post

--
    David Hicks

I don't think XP Home is allowed by licence to access a domain so by doing it you would be breaking the licence terms anyway. (Don't quote me on that you have to check the EULA)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    This has been a 'feature' since Server 2003, so ironically I think 2000 Server (in this situation) is actually more secure by default. I agree the default value should be zero as I've never allowed staff or pupils to join the domain.

Windows XP Home cannot join a domain but only a workgroup, so there's no problem here. If you right click - My Computer > Properties > Computer Name (tab) you can compare the differences between Home and Pro.
    You can still map network drives and access shares on a domain from XP Home, but you'd typically need to authenticate everytime; DOMAINNAME\USERNAME

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This has been a 'feature' since Server 2003, so ironically I think 2000 Server (in this situation) is actually more secure by default. I agree the default value should be zero as I've never allowed staff or pupils to join the domain.

Windows XP Home cannot join a domain but only a workgroup, so there's no problem here. If you right click - My Computer > Properties > Computer Name (tab) you can compare the differences between Home and Pro.
    You can still map network drives and access shares on a domain from XP Home, but you'd typically need to authenticate everytime; DOMAINNAME\USERNAME

It was an original Active Directory design decision and was present in Windows 2000

Windows 2000 grants the "Add workstations to domain" privilege to the Authenticated Users group by default. When this privilege is enabled, authenticated users can bypass the access control list (ACL) check for up to a predefined maximum value. To prevent misuse, the maximum number of machine accounts any authenticated user can join is 10 by default.
    Domain Users Cannot Join Workstation or Server to a Domain

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12