+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, New Exchange 2007 install in Technical; It looks like our current mail server is in its death throws, and I am looking at replacing it with ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

New Exchange 2007 install

It looks like our current mail server is in its death throws, and I am looking at replacing it with a exchange box.

I have a dual quad core storage server that I can use for the job, which is 64bit capable, though only has 4gb ram, so factoring 16gb ram into the cost for that.

I then need to licence exchange, and external connector licences for our students.

Will add the backup exec agent to cover the DR backup.

What else will I need to put in place? i.e. what does exchange need in the way of attachement filtering etc for a school enviroment.

Our current system allows me to intercept exe file attachements etc between students. I see exchange can be set with filetype filters, but seems to infer that this shouldn`t be done on local users!

Our email is filtered and virus checked by our LA, but local emails would be missed, are there any free solutions to this, or do I need to be looking at puremessage etc for filtering and virus scanning? (again it appears you can`t route internal email via a smtp connector or I could use our smoothwall UTM for the task.

Once I have all this set up I just need to migrate all 1600 mailboxes accross using imap....

This was likely to be a summer holiday project, but things have overtaken me, hence the long list of questions.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

RobK
    Last edited by robk; 1st November 2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Missed a bit..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    I would look at Smoothzap in your UTM Rob, it was very cheap to licence when I last checked pricing with them, then you know you have 2 fields for when the LEA slip up or miss.

If you don't use the Smoothwall, I like Sophos Puremessage and you can do all sorts of scans in that for spam, dodgy words etc so that may also be worth a look at.

I personally don't think you need the External Connector, but its always debated on here with many people getting different answers, my understanding was that as they are your students you don't need the external connector if you have CALs in-house.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would love to use smoothzap as it's already on our utm but it appears exchange will not route internal mail via such a device! If I can get round that issue I would be sorted.

As for the external connector, if we had students work at home rights on schools agreement we would be fine, without you need the external licence. Would love to lose the cost of that though!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Look at Puremessage then Rob that will do internal mail if you remove the default of don't scan internal mail.

Interesting on the external connector, when I last checked we were told if they were on role with us we didn't need one, but I guess it opens the same discussion that we've had on here many times before. When I get mine sorted I am going to email the licence firms and ask the question and save there answer if they say no then when im told I should have had one just dig that out and say there fault.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread