+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Set proxy server in GP but giving me gyp in Technical; Morning everyone. Having a little trouble with machines taking kindly to a change in group policy we made. The LEA ...
    Thank Post

Set proxy server in GP but giving me gyp

Morning everyone.

Having a little trouble with machines taking kindly to a change in group policy we made. The LEA used to give us our internet directly, and group policy used to be set so that Internet Explorer would use as a proxy server the address they gave us.

Since then, they've changed this so that only a few IP addresses from our end are allowed traffic from them, so (with a few exceptions) only the IP addresses of our proxy servers are allowed, and all traffic goes through two boxes with IPCop on them. (One for each of our two domains so we can heavily block the kids and not-so-heavily block the admin side.)

Trouble is in group policy we've changed the settings, pointing Internet Explorer to the new IP addresses of the IPCop, made these settings per machine rather than per user (though tried both initially) but not everyone is receiving these settings and gets the old IP address which we have to go and change manually for them as and when. Sometimes they will even revert to the old settings, which don't exist anymore! This happens despite gpupdate /force, and despite entering them manually after which I'd think if they were gonna change they'd take up the new settings. Happens mostly on the admin side.

Lil bit stuck on what to do so thought I'd ask, see if I've missed anything. Thanks for reading.

Thank Post
    Worth checking gpresult to see if its actually applying said policy on the client.

3. Thanks to kmount from:

stariq (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    check other policies and the order that they apply. I have just done this on all 60 of my Domains, set by user and I had to check that there were no other policies that had settings applied

Thank Post
    Thanks guys. As luck would have it, there's an absence of symptoms all of a sudden. I'll report back later on. Grateful for the help.

(Briefly imagines running 60 Domains. Yikes.)

Thank Post
    Well, found out that it was copying the settings from the machine I was sitting on when checking it. I don't use IE and don't use the proxy server, so all my LAN settings have gathered dust from day one. Deselected that, put it back in as it should be, seems to be fixed.

Thanks guys, back to the MCSA textbooks for me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread