+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Giving Administrators and Staff access to Student Home Drives in Technical; I have all my student folders set on my Windows 2003 Server in a share called pupils, and then their ...

Thank Post

Giving Administrators and Staff access to Student Home Drives

I have all my student folders set on my Windows 2003 Server in a share called pupils, and then their username.

Ofcourse, when these directories were created in Active Directory Users and Computers, I set the Home Folder to the path - \\server2003\pupils\~username~.

All the permissions for these folders are then soley for the user.

Is ther any way to give my staff group read access to these folders, and the administrators full control without having to take ownership as the administrator and set the permissions on the individual users again?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madman070578 View Post
    I have all my student folders set on my Windows 2003 Server in a share called pupils, and then their username.

Ofcourse, when these directories were created in Active Directory Users and Computers, I set the Home Folder to the path - \\server2003\pupils\~username~.

All the permissions for these folders are then soley for the user.

Is ther any way to give my staff group read access to these folders, and the administrators full control without having to take ownership as the administrator and set the permissions on the individual users again?
    I dont know if it works in retrospect but the option you are looking for is "Grant user exclusive rights..." in the settings tab of folder redirection.

Thank Post
    One option is to use something like the CACLS command in a script. I will see if I can dig a script out that I've used before.

Thank Post
    When you say that the permissions are all solely for that user, do you literally mean administrators have no access to the folders/files at all? How are you backing up your folders/files?

Thank Post
    NTFSFix is a nice way to do it if you only have permissions issues - if you also have ownership issues you're looking at a scripted job... If you're happier on the command line look at cacls or xcacls - as an example, here's the one I use to fix up the perms on one of our directories here if I bodge them.

for /D %%I in (*) DO XCACLS "%%I" /T /G BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS:F "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM":F "%%I":C /Y

Running that leaves the current users permissions in place and also adds full control for administrators and system - you could tweak something similar to do :R access for your teachers group.

Thank Post
    Give administrators full rights at the top of the Userdata Share and Staff read/write rights and inherit them through the userdata share.

Thats how you should have the network share setup.

Still confused on that the only person who has rights on user folders is the user. Administrators must have rights to perform task such as back up.

Thank Post
    administrators do have Hierarchy rights

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread