+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Exchange distribution groups in Technical; We have lots of distribution groups, one for all students, all staff, each year group etc etc Lately students have ...
    Thank Post

Exchange distribution groups

We have lots of distribution groups, one for all students, all staff, each year group etc etc

Lately students have realised they can email these groups with stupid pictures so we need to lock it down a bit but it's proving more confusing than i first thought.

We need teachers to be able to email the All students group but disallow students from being able to email to any groups, but at the same time still be able to recieve from them.

I can see all the "accept messages from" settings, and that's fine as i want them to accept emails from everyone, but i need to be able to setup similar settings for outgoing emails, where do i do this? (please don't tell me on individual accounts or i'll cry)

Can anyone help me on this pretty please with a cherry on top?

Thank Post
    There are two ways of doing this. You can either restrict the groups so that the students will not be able to acess them in the address book. OR, you can set a policy on the student accounts to only let them send an e-mail to 1,2,3, or whatever, people at a time.

Hopefully somebody can provide more detail on these methods as it's a while since I've used Exchange 2003, and don't want to advise you incorrectly.

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-UK View Post
    OR, you can set a policy on the student accounts to only let them send an e-mail to 1,2,3, or whatever, people at a time.

Hopefully somebody can provide more detail on these methods as it's a while since I've used Exchange 2003, and don't want to advise you incorrectly.

Tom
    That sounds EXACTLY like what we're after, anyone enlighten me on this?

Thank Post
    Isn't there also a way to make it so that only certain people can email the address? I'm sure there is. You could then just add staff to this.

Thank Post
    The only accept mail from is the bit you need to use - put all staff in that box and set it so that they are the only ones permitted to send to that email address.

Thanks
    James

6. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

Edu-IT (20th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Surely the "only accept from" option would prevent the students from ever e-mailing staff. This would stop the random group e-mails, but also stop genuine student to staff contact.

This may be completely wrong as I have nothing to check it with here - BUT - go into the security settings in Exchange Manager of the distribution group that contains your staff e-mail addresses. Deny the students access to it.

This will mean that students will still be able to send an e-mail to "staffmember@school.com", but will not be able to see the whole distribution group and send a group e-mail to every member of it.

Tom

Thank Post
    The only accept emails from is set on a per distribution list basis and therfore only affects the students sending to that list (you can set it per user if you have a nucisance emailer etc) but its mainly used for groups as in this situation.

Your suggestion is the server way of achieving the same goal.

Thank Post
    Surely the "only accept from" option would prevent the students from ever e-mailing staff. This would stop the random group e-mails, but also stop genuine student to staff contact.

This may be completely wrong as I have nothing to check it with here - BUT - go into the security settings in Exchange Manager of the distribution group that contains your staff e-mail addresses. Deny the students access to it.

This will mean that students will still be able to send an e-mail to "staffmember@school.com", but will not be able to see the whole distribution group and send a group e-mail to every member of it.

Tom
    No because you would be setting it for the distribution group email address and not the staff members email?

10. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

jamesreedersmith (20th October 2009)

Thank Post
    I may have got confused by this a little bit now!

Are we trying to stop the students from viewing the distribution lists in the address book OR stop them from e-mailing members of staff etc?

Thank Post
    I believe he is trying to stop students emailing the distribution lists but still allowing direct emails to specific teachers.

Thank Post
    Then surely my suggestion would work? Setting deny security on the distribution list for students will stop it showing up in the address book for them BUT they will still be able to send an e-mail to individual members of staff?

Thank Post
    Then surely my suggestion would work? Setting deny security on the distribution list for students will stop it showing up in the address book for them BUT they will still be able to send an e-mail to individual members of staff?
    Hiding it from the address book won't solve it if the kids know the address though. I'd go for the 'deny mail except from XYZ'.

Thank Post
    Very true :-)

I need to wake up a bit lol

Thank Post
    Just to add - if you make sure you put a staff group in there rather than individual staff saves having to add new staff manually each time - just add them to the group and bobs your uncle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    I believe he is trying to stop students emailing the distribution lists but still allowing direct emails to specific teachers.
    ^ this is correct, at the moment i'm looking at the SMTP Virtual server, i'm trying to create another one to assign the students to so i can limit the maximum number of recipients to 1

Not sure how well this is going to work yet though, and i think while it'll stop kids from emailing the masses occasionally it won't stop them from emailing the distribution groups

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast