+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Exchange distribution groups in Technical; Originally Posted by mrbios ^ this is correct, at the moment i'm looking at the SMTP Virtual server, i'm trying ...
  1. #16
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,151
    Thank Post
    191
    Thanked 235 Times in 199 Posts
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    ^ this is correct, at the moment i'm looking at the SMTP Virtual server, i'm trying to create another one to assign the students to so i can limit the maximum number of recipients to 1

    Not sure how well this is going to work yet though, and i think while it'll stop kids from emailing the masses occasionally it won't stop them from emailing the distribution groups
    That is a bit overkill for the problem you've described.
    The solution above using message restrictions / accept message "only from" is quicker, easier and probably more effective.

    You could easily set a per user max recipients rule up in Exchange / AD using the delivery options button in the Exchange General tab of a users properties (you could do that by batch by using ADModify)

  2. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

    mrbios (20th October 2009)

  3. #17

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,087
    Thank Post
    210
    Thanked 432 Times in 312 Posts
    Rep Power
    145
    As other people have said, within Active Directory look at the 'Exchange General' properties for the Distribution List, and set it so only staff can send to it.

    We do that here to stop the students e-mailing any of the distribution lists we have, like the all students and all staff lists and it works a treat.

    Mike.

  4. #18

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,850
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 598 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    227
    I don't like using technical measures for this sort of issue. Really I've found the best way to deal with this sort of misuse is to punish the students who are doing it rather than cripple the email system with sender restrictions. The students will be quite easy to track down in this case too, as they have helpfully provided their email addresses.

  5. #19
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,151
    Thank Post
    191
    Thanked 235 Times in 199 Posts
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I don't like using technical measures for this sort of issue. Really I've found the best way to deal with this sort of misuse is to punish the students who are doing it rather than cripple the email system with sender restrictions. The students will be quite easy to track down in this case too, as they have helpfully provided their email addresses.
    It's good to have a mix of both really.
    If a distribution list only contains pupils then pupil-pupil messaging can be dealt with like this, but if it is pupils messaging a staff / governor / external list then it is more of an administrative safeguard.

  6. #20
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,659
    Thank Post
    383
    Thanked 273 Times in 225 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I don't like using technical measures for this sort of issue. Really I've found the best way to deal with this sort of misuse is to punish the students who are doing it rather than cripple the email system with sender restrictions. The students will be quite easy to track down in this case too, as they have helpfully provided their email addresses.
    That's our prefered option, but this abuse of the system has been going on for 2 weeks now and SLT seem to be useless in fixing it, they punish the individual but don't make an example of them infront of others, so then the next kid does it, rinse, repeat

  7. #21

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,850
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 598 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    It's good to have a mix of both really.
    If a distribution list only contains pupils then pupil-pupil messaging can be dealt with like this, but if it is pupils messaging a staff / governor / external list then it is more of an administrative safeguard.
    I do see your point, but there are valid reasons for pupils contacting staff via email. Especially when it's Teacher <-> Pupil.

  8. #22
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,659
    Thank Post
    383
    Thanked 273 Times in 225 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    You could easily set a per user max recipients rule up in Exchange / AD using the delivery options button in the Exchange General tab of a users properties (you could do that by batch by using ADModify)
    This did the trick, surprised i hadn't heard of ADmodify before, what a wonderful piece of software!

  9. #23
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,151
    Thank Post
    191
    Thanked 235 Times in 199 Posts
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I do see your point, but there are valid reasons for pupils contacting staff via email. Especially when it's Teacher <-> Pupil.
    We were talking about preventing mail being sent to a distribution list, not of emailing individual staff.

    If a user is prevented from being able to send to a distribution list it doesn't mean they are then prevented from emailing the members of that list individually.

    The max recipients mention only limits the amount of people a user is able to send to (to stop them selecting 30 users at a time etc)



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Distribution groups on Exchange server
    By andrew_91090 in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th October 2009, 03:52 PM
  2. Exchange distribution lists
    By Jobos in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st October 2009, 10:14 PM
  3. Exchange distribution list size
    By Dos_Box in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd February 2009, 04:02 PM
  4. Exchange 2003 - Query Based Distribution Group
    By MattGibson in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th November 2008, 03:15 PM
  5. Exchange 2003 GAL Groups
    By phughes in forum Windows
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 16th May 2008, 09:52 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •