+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Free VMware Server Question in Technical; Been looking on the VMWare web site but can't find a simple answer to a simple question..... The Free VMWare ...
  1. #1

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740

    Free VMware Server Question

    Been looking on the VMWare web site but can't find a simple answer to a simple question.....

    The Free VMWare Server software..........
    Can you use this to migrate a Windows 2008 Server which is just running as a DC ? [ Also have a member server ]

    I was thinking of getting rid of an old IBM E-series & Netfinity server.......

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Just install the DC as a totally new VM and allow a couple of days for everything to have replicated accross and settle down, then demote the old DC. No need to be messing doing a physical to virtual for something as simple as a DC.

    AFAIK MS arnt too bothered about you doing this in terms of you being a licence down for a few days.

  3. Thanks to j17sparky from:

    mattx (30th September 2009)

  4. #3

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Just install the DC as a totally new VM and allow a couple of days for everything to have replicated accross and settle down, then demote the old DC. No need to be messing doing a physical to virtual for something as simple as a DC.

    AFAIK MS arnt too bothered about you doing this in terms of you being a licence down for a few days.
    One way but I don't fancy messing around and configuring WSUS and other bits and bobs running on the server I want to migrate.....

  5. #4

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,918
    Thank Post
    131
    Thanked 287 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Yeah you can.... well with standalone converter 4. not sure if it'll handle 2008R2 conversion.

  6. #5

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Yeah you can.... well with standalone converter 4. not sure if it'll handle 2008R2 conversion.
    Is it as simple as:

    1. Install VMWare Server - on a new server
    2. Take a snap shot of one of my 2008 servers
    3. Turn that server off
    4. Introduce that snapshot to VMWare Server
    5. Have a cup of tea

  7. #6

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,918
    Thank Post
    131
    Thanked 287 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Is it as simple as:

    1. Install VMWare Server - on a new server
    2. Take a snap shot of one of my 2008 servers
    3. Turn that server off
    4. Introduce that snapshot to VMWare Server
    5. Have a cup of tea

    Yeah, pretty much


    1) Establish the target server (esxi/VMware server).
    2) Install standalone converter on a PC (could be your PC, doesnt need to be the server)
    3) Run Converter and start a task sequence: target your 'starting' server and it'll install an agent.
    You may need do turn off the firewall.
    4) Target you destination host (see 1)
    5) Finish the task sequence and wait *
    6) Turn old server off
    7) Power on new VM
    8) Tidy VM removing old devices in device manager.
    9) Optimise VM


    * for example the 100GB exchange 2003 server took 6 hours.

    I'd recommend ESX if you can over server. Old RM servers make good esx boxes

  8. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

    mattx (30th September 2009)

  9. #7


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Is it as simple as that with a DC though? Best practices tell you to be very wary with 2000/2003 DCs as it can cause replication issues, so unless MS have corrected this for 2008...

    Personally i wouldnt dream on P2V a DC for the sake of the 10 minutes its going to take to install WSUS.

  10. #8

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    I'll install a test box and will see how I get on. Thanks for that.

  11. #9


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I'll install a test box and will see how I get on. Thanks for that.
    You will need to virtualise all of your DCs and test it for a good while, as replication issues dont always show themselves straight away, and obviously keep these away from your production.

    Honestly, its going to be 100x more work and more risky doing it the way you want to.

  12. #10

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,918
    Thank Post
    131
    Thanked 287 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Is it as simple as that with a DC though? Best practices tell you to be very wary with 2000/2003 DCs as it can cause replication issues, so unless MS have corrected this for 2008...
    The basic conversion process is that simple.... but there are additional replication issues as the DC will essentially be off for a short amount of time.

    You could cold convert it with a converter boot disk, which will just be like the server has been off for a few hours and like any replication issue that could arise with that.

  13. #11

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    You will need to virtualise all of your DCs and test it for a good while, as replication issues dont always show themselves straight away, and obviously keep these away from your production.

    Honestly, its going to be 100x more work and more risky doing it the way you want to.
    Thing is I have another server which has a database on too + a few other network related apps.
    I don't have the time to re-install / configure all this - I am hoping a migration to virtual will do the job.
    I am looking for a basic guide to read up on which will outline some of the things to look out for but have not really found much yet. I shall keep looking though.......
    Once I'm happy with a physical to virtual I can then look into sorting out a SAN.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Free VMware ESXi (3.5 & 4) management
    By Theblacksheep in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th September 2009, 05:48 PM
  2. VMWare Server 2 and VMWare Convertor
    By wesleyw in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th March 2009, 03:06 PM
  3. VMWare ESXi released for free today.
    By pete in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24th August 2008, 08:32 PM
  4. vmware workstation installation question
    By RabbieBurns in forum *nix
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5th July 2008, 02:10 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •