+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Broken profiles in Technical; I seem to have two problems with profiles that I think are related but I can't find what's causing the ...
  1. #1

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,878
    Thank Post
    879
    Thanked 960 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    339

    Broken profiles

    I seem to have two problems with profiles that I think are related but I can't find what's causing the problem.

    1. When a new profile is created the Derfault Profile in NetLogon is copied to the profiles$ share on the server. However the user profile folder on the server has no enteries at all in the Security tab.
    2. The profile is not being deleted from the local machine when the user logs off


    I really can't see what might be causing this. I've checked folder permission son both the Default Profile in NetLogon and the profiles$ share - going so far as giving Everyone Full Control.

    I've gone through AD and I'm sure the GPO is correct. Add Addministrator to profile, wait for profile from server before login on, etc.

    Anyone come across this before? My instinct says it's probably a gpo setting I changed but I can't for the life of me find anything related that could be causing this.

    Cheers.

    Terry,

  2. #2

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,878
    Thank Post
    879
    Thanked 960 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    339
    Okay, I think I may be making some headway on this...

    Looks like the server with the the profiles$ share is not seeing the domain correctly. Checking User & Computers and it as Errors under the three Operation Masters Roles. The other two DC's, including the PDC's, are both reporting correctly.

    I'm giving this server a restart to see if it fixes the problem....

    If anyone has any tips or ideas i'll love to hear them...

    Cheers

    Terry.

  3. #3

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,878
    Thank Post
    879
    Thanked 960 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    339
    Okay Two steps forwards, 5 steps backwards!

    The domain problems turned out to be a bad DNS entry on that server. Changed the DNS settings on the NIC and restarted the server and it's reporting the FSMO roles correctly

    Also, roaming profiles ARE now being deleted from the local machine

    BUT...

    the profile on the server still has incorrect security permissions - as no security permissions for anyone! this can't be correct!

    As nobody come accross this before?

  4. #4

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,878
    Thank Post
    879
    Thanked 960 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    339
    Well all is well - working now!

    I got rid of AppData redirect and Limit profile size and everything started working again. Oh Hum!



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Broken DC eww
    By Bestbett in forum Windows
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 7th May 2007, 11:02 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •