+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, New IP and now Exchange can't receive external mail. in Technical; Hi, I've been changing server IPs etc as i was told to switch to a new IP scope. I changed ...

Thank Post

Unhappy New IP and now Exchange can't receive external mail.

Hi,

I've been changing server IPs etc as i was told to switch to a new IP scope.

I changed the cluster IPs using the resources in the Cluster Admin tool.

After some problems yesterday where the resources were going onand offline. Something to do with IsAlive service. I changed the protocols IP addresses within Exchange Service Manager.

Now i can send and receive internal mail. I can send mail to external addresses, but no one can receive external email.

I've never done anything with Exchange, so when i've been looking at other threads and other websites, nothing seems to have matched up.

Is there another setting somewhere that's not letting external mail through.

I think there are no queues. However, i was probably looking in the wrong place!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    We'll need a bit more info to help

Quote Originally Posted by stu1892 View Post
    Hi,

Ok, who provided the scope / mandated the change? Do you have a firewall or router between you and rbc/lea/world that isn't aware of the change?

Which version of Exchange?

Do you send mail directly (mailserver > outside world ) or via an LEA/RBC smarthost (mailserver > smarthost > filtering > outside world)? If it's the latter, do you need to tell the LEA rbc helldesk about the server ip change (or do they already know?).

3. Thanks to pete from:

stu1892 (24th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers Pete.

The Council provided the new scope as they're changing all schools around here.

Exchange 2003.
    There are no connections between us and the outside world that didn't know about the change.

I think we do go through something with the Local Authority first as sometimes they block attachments. They know about the change though.

However, I have had a load problems during this switch over which has been down to them after all despite them saying it wasn't them at first contact.

I have mentioned this problem to them and they mentioned nothing about it being them.
    Is there anything i can check to prove it may be outside?

Thank Post
    We have exchange 2007 (so bear in mind when considering advice).

What errors does the external sender see? (If you've got a smartphone, send yourself an email at your work address).
    Assuming it's an LEA server passing your external mail to you...

Is exchange accepting mail on all of it's IPs or a specific IP (i.e the old IP?). In 2007 that'd be under the Server Configuration > Hub Transport > Recieve Connectors.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I changed the cluster IPs using the resources in the Cluster Admin tool.

After some problems yesterday where the resources were going onand offline. Something to do with IsAlive service. I changed the protocols IP addresses within Exchange Service Manager.

Now i can send and receive internal mail. I can send mail to external addresses, but no one can receive external email.

I've never done anything with Exchange, so when i've been looking at other threads and other websites, nothing seems to have matched up.

Is there another setting somewhere that's not letting external mail through.

I think there are no queues. However, i was probably looking in the wrong place!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Is this a front facing exchange server or a back end one? Just asking the simple stuff to make sure they updated the MX if it's front facing. Check out MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online if it is. Oh yeah this one to... https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

7. Thanks to mbhmirc from:

stu1892 (24th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had this problem when I created vlans I put the default route as the Switch not the ISA server so it could not route it data to the outside world. You may need to use the route add command to the exchange server or add a route on to you switch/router.

I had added route into the isa server to get to the rest of my network.

nicholab.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The other thing I remember from my previous job was that mail was forwarded on from our ISP to a specific IP address, so you may want to check whether the IP address mail is forwarded onto has been updated on your ISP.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

The problem lay with the filtering system with the authority.

They gave us the IPs and have not had anything set up in preparation for them all. The last two weeks have been a nightmare.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

The problem lay with the filtering system with the authority.

They gave us the IPs and have not had anything set up in preparation for them all. The last two weeks have been a nightmare.
    *isn't terribly surprised* Find a clueful, reliable and friendly person on their helldesk, do all your business with them. Quiz him about how things "Really Are (tm)" vs "How $LEA Say They Are". Possibly develop a system of coughs/throat clearings for yes/no answers where he can't officially say but him not saying will unleash a world of annoyance if you act on what LEA have said they've done (but actually haven't).

Then watch as he gets promoted out of your reach into 3rd line support. Rinse, lather, repeat.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread