Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, NIC shows only 10MB link instead of 1GB in Technical; As part of our summer upgrade I've upgraded our ISA server to Server 2003 R2 SP3. No problems there.
27th July 2009, 07:58 PM #1
- Rep Power
NIC shows only 10MB link instead of 1GB
As part of our summer upgrade I've upgraded our ISA server to Server 2003 R2 SP3. No problems there.
I've also updated the HP NC7760 NIC driver and the Intel Pro 1000MT drivers... no problems there.
We've also had a large network upgrade which comes in the form of a shiny HP Chassis switch with 24 Gig ports and 8 fibre ports in the server room.
Since I've plugged this server into the new socket/switch, both network cards show incorrect link speeds.
One card shows 10MB, and the other shows 100MB. They are both Gigabit cards.
I have tried setting the cards and the switch to force 1000MB but server just says 'network cable unplugged'
This is a new patch bay and sockets... would you suggest having the networkers back to test the sockets?
I'm running out of options...
27th July 2009, 08:03 PM #2
Try another machine with a gigabit card to see whether it's the port/switch, or the network card/drivers on the server.
EDIT: Sorry, misread, didn't realise there was two individual network cards there.
If you swap the cables around, does the 10 and 100 move?
27th July 2009, 08:07 PM #3
I would take a methodical approach to solving this one involving;
- Plugging the server into different network ports if available
- plugging them directly into the switch (if possible)
- Trying another machine with a gigabit card on the same ports as the server is using
- Trying different patch leads
- Looking at the error logs on the switch and the machine to see if anything's logged
- Trying the server on a totally different gigabit switch
27th July 2009, 08:26 PM #4
- Rep Power
thanks guys, theres some good advice there.
I didn't think to swap the cables over.. that would show a wiring problem for sure.
I think I've been working on it for too long and probably missed the obvious!!
27th July 2009, 08:33 PM #5
It sounds to me your servers plug into a patch panel then into a switch. If possible, plug the server directly into a switch and see if it works at 1000Mbps. If it does then great, but if it doesn't then you need to have a look at the switch management settings.
This is a new patch bay and sockets
If the server to switch operates fine then I'd say the installers have probably done a rubbish job patching all eight pairs which are required for 1000Mbps over CAT5e or CAT6.
28th July 2009, 09:10 PM #6
- Rep Power
All sorted now thanks - while the cablers were in today, I got them to test.....
the socket was dodgy
By dgsmith in forum General Chat
Last Post: 16th July 2009, 11:10 AM
Last Post: 3rd February 2009, 12:04 AM
By rush_tech in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
Last Post: 12th December 2008, 05:02 PM
By DirtySnipe in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
Last Post: 15th June 2008, 09:02 PM
By tom_newton in forum General Chat
Last Post: 11th April 2007, 01:17 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)