+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Setting up a Windows 2003 Virtual Network in Technical; Hi everyone. In an attempt to expand my networking knowledge, I'm currently trying to setup a Windows 2003 network virtually, ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Setting up a Windows 2003 Virtual Network

    Hi everyone.

    In an attempt to expand my networking knowledge, I'm currently trying to setup a Windows 2003 network virtually, with one server and two XP Pro clients. I've installed Windows Server 2003 Standard and setup Active Directory and DNS.

    However I can't join the clients to the server, i've tried changing IP addresses, and making sure the virtual machine has the networking set (i.e. bridged/local). I'm not entirely sure what I need.

    All I want is a functioning server, which clients can join and I can administer my own domain, trying out different bits and bobs etc.

    Any help would much be appreciated.

  2. #2

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,665
    Thank Post
    850
    Thanked 893 Times in 738 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    328
    Two questions...

    1) Do your clients have static IP's? or is there a separate DHCP server on the network in the same range as the Win2k3 VM? If not you'll probably want to add DHCP to the server VM.

    2) Have you promoted the server to a domain controller? Run 'dcpromo' from the command line?

    Also you may want to check you can actually ping the server from one of the clients.

  3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

    openaccess (22nd July 2009)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Two questions...

    1) Do your clients have static IP's? or is there a separate DHCP server on the network in the same range as the Win2k3 VM? If not you'll probably want to add DHCP to the server VM.

    2) Have you promoted the server to a domain controller? Run 'dcpromo' from the command line?

    Also you may want to check you can actually ping the server from one of the clients.
    I have given the clients seperate IPs, and pointed the DNS of each to the IP of the server

    I have installed Active Directory, and when I run dcpromo it just prompts to an uninstall screen.


    Thanks

  5. #4


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,591
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    can the vms ping each other?

    what cm are you using? it can definitely be done in vmware as that pretty much describes some of my old configs (ive now set up my old media centre to dual boot 2003/2008 and virtual pc2008 for clients (though for some odd reason it seems to only network if the real card has a link to something anything))

    Vmware has a built in virtual dhcp server (i disable it)and i usually altered the ip range it used internally

  6. Thanks to sted from:

    openaccess (22nd July 2009)

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    can the vms ping each other?

    what cm are you using? it can definitely be done in vmware as that pretty much describes some of my old configs (ive now set up my old media centre to dual boot 2003/2008 and virtual pc2008 for clients (though for some odd reason it seems to only network if the real card has a link to something anything))

    Vmware has a built in virtual dhcp server (i disable it)and i usually altered the ip range it used internally
    I've tried pinging them, and they all come back fine
    I was using VirtulBox, but Im gonna try VMWare or Virtual PC (which is better)
    What would I do to set it up properly in VMWare?

  8. #6
    originofsymmetry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    187
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    I use VMware for this. Setup a new "Team" and in the initial setup of it, it enquires if you want to create a LAN Segment, choose yes, at the next screen your VM's are listed, just tick the box corresponding to LAN1. Typing this from memory by the way

  9. Thanks to originofsymmetry from:

    openaccess (22nd July 2009)

  10. #7


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,591
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    for what you are doing id say vmware is better i tend to use ms vpc for single vms rather than groups

  11. Thanks to sted from:

    openaccess (22nd July 2009)

  12. #8

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,665
    Thank Post
    850
    Thanked 893 Times in 738 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    328
    Here's a thought. Does Virtual Box (or Virtual PC for that matter) support virtual switches? I know VMware Server and Virtual Server do.

    If there is no virtual switch, just a bridged connection on the host PC's NIC then all network traffic between VM's must go out of the host PC's NIC onto the physical network and back in again to the other VM.

    In short, when you are running these tests with virtual box is your host PC physically connected to a switch, router or hub? If not this may just solve your problem.

  13. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

    openaccess (22nd July 2009)

  14. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by originofsymmetry View Post
    I use VMware for this. Setup a new "Team" and in the initial setup of it, it enquires if you want to create a LAN Segment, choose yes, at the next screen your VM's are listed, just tick the box corresponding to LAN1. Typing this from memory by the way
    I'm now giving this a go. I'm using VMware Workstation, but looking at their products ESXi is better?

  15. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Here's a thought. Does Virtual Box (or Virtual PC for that matter) support virtual switches? I know VMware Server and Virtual Server do.

    If there is no virtual switch, just a bridged connection on the host PC's NIC then all network traffic between VM's must go out of the host PC's NIC onto the physical network and back in again to the other VM.

    In short, when you are running these tests with virtual box is your host PC physically connected to a switch, router or hub? If not this may just solve your problem.
    I don't think Virtual Box or Virtual PC support virtual switches, though i'm now trying ESXi.
    My host PC is physically connected to my router.

  16. #11

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,665
    Thank Post
    850
    Thanked 893 Times in 738 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    328
    I'm assuming you are using a home PC with perhaps Windows XP/Vista/7 installed as the primary OS? If so I very much doubt ESXi is what you are looking for.

    ESXi is very, very good and extremely powerful but - it will mean re-formating your PC and installing this as the primary OS. It has extremely stringent hardware requirements - think mostly server hardware. May not have drivers for your nic or storage controller for instance. And, to top it of, even if it does install unless you have SCSI or SAS hard drive it almost certainly won't let you create a datastore for the VM's so you won't be able to build any VMs with it.

    In short ESXi is an Enterprise class bare metal virtualasation solution.

    For this type of experimentation either VMWare Server or MS Virtual Server are much much better products and are better than VMWare Workstation, VirtualPC or VirtualBox.

  17. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

    openaccess (22nd July 2009)

  18. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm assuming you are using a home PC with perhaps Windows XP/Vista/7 installed as the primary OS? If so I very much doubt ESXi is what you are looking for.

    ESXi is very, very good and extremely powerful but - it will mean re-formating your PC and installing this as the primary OS. It has extremely stringent hardware requirements - think mostly server hardware. May not have drivers for your nic or storage controller for instance. And, to top it of, even if it does install unless you have SCSI or SAS hard drive it almost certainly won't let you create a datastore for the VM's so you won't be able to build any VMs with it.

    In short ESXi is an Enterprise class bare metal virtualasation solution.

    For this type of experimentation either VMWare Server or MS Virtual Server are much much better products and are better than VMWare Workstation, VirtualPC or VirtualBox.
    Cheers for clearing that up. I'm running Windows XP Pro with 2GB RAM. I thought ESXi just sat on top of an exisiting OS. I didn't know that they actually made a virtualisation OS lol.

  19. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi all,

    After using VMware Server, I have managed to get my 2003 domain running! An XP client is connect.

    Thanks for all your help

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th May 2008, 11:23 AM
  2. How do I add a Mac to a Windows 2003 Network?
    By speckytecky in forum Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th May 2008, 09:18 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22nd February 2008, 12:34 PM
  4. setting up a windows network
    By cooper in forum Windows
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 26th April 2007, 04:18 PM
  5. Setting DHCP Vendor Classes on Windows 2003 Server
    By acb_ in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17th July 2006, 11:19 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •