+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, New DC server setup checklist in Technical; I'm having a new DC server to replace our current one and get rid of all signs of winsuite and ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

New DC server setup checklist

I'm having a new DC server to replace our current one and get rid of all signs of winsuite and go vanilla.

I've seen one checklist that was useful but a bit in depth for me. Basically im having a trained LA recommended monkey setup my server at monkey HQ and im going to sit with them and then they bring it over to us during the holidays ready for setup and migration.

Thing is i want to make sure its all done right and dont want to think hmmm, i should've suggested that or checked that, when its too late....they gotta work for their money dammit!!

So its all the accounts, software, images OU's....

Also, if you've got like a hundred years worth of kids accounts on your server (), whats the best way of getting rid of all the old accounts?

all are staff passwords are the same (not me!!!) shall i just make them set password on first logon?

Anyhoo, i just want the basics...server setup checklist for dummies....

2. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

speckytecky (29th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Thing is i want to make sure its all done right and dont want to think hmmm, i should've suggested that or checked that, when its too late....they gotta work for their money dammit!!
    To be honest they should be making recommendations of good practices, then at the design stage you can then step in with specific requirements. Active Directory allows a lot of customisation before implementing a new solution and after. It's on-going.

Also, if you've got like a hundred years worth of kids accounts on your server (), whats the best way of getting rid of all the old accounts?
    Just delete them and create new accounts for all current pupils. You may want to do this from September onwards...

all are staff passwords are the same (not me!!!) shall i just make them set password on first logon?
    Usually the easiest way, but you may find many teachers don't understand the password change prompt screen and end up getting confused.

4. Thanks to Michael from:

Little-Miss (12th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you only have 1 server on your domain then the 100% easiest (and least troublesome) way is to build a new domain.

You can copy user files from the old server/domain to the new and for everything else start a fresh. Wisesoft (WiseSoft - Resources for IT Professionals) have a few tools that can help with this.

This does have the down side that you must remove all workstations from the old domain and add it to the new - but if you're getting rid of winsuite you are probably re-imaging all machines and doing this anyway.

If you have multiple servers and are only replacing one, or you want to keep the same domain for some reason then these are the basic check points as I remember them -

• Global Catalogue - make sure the new server has a copy of this
    • FSMO roles - there are 5 of them, they need transfering to the new server
    • DNS - make sure all domain details are replicated to new server before you remove DNS from the old server
    • DHCP - if you use it and its on the going server, you'll need a new DHCP server
    • WINS - same as DHCP, if you use it then install it on the new server
    • User Profiles - update user accounts with new locations (Wisesofts BulkAD is good for this)
    • User Home Folders - once copied to new server the user accounts need updating with new locations (again BulkAD will do this)
    • Anti-Virus. Make sure your AV server is re-installed and all clients are pointing here
    • Printer Services - any shared printers on the old server? (Download details: Windows Print Migrator 3.1)

I'm sure there are a few things I've forgotten but these are the basics.

6. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Log on scripts for shared areas etc.
    If you've got applications stored on the server these will need copying over or reinstalling. You then might have to change shortcuts on workstations (depending if they go through a mapped drive or a UNC path.).

8. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    If you only have 1 server on your domain then the 100% easiest (and least troublesome) way is to build a new domain.

You can copy user files from the old server/domain to the new and for everything else start a fresh. Wisesoft (WiseSoft - Resources for IT Professionals) have a few tools that can help with this.

This does have the down side that you must remove all workstations from the old domain and add it to the new - but if you're getting rid of winsuite you are probably re-imaging all machines and doing this anyway.

If you have multiple servers and are only replacing one, or you want to keep the same domain for some reason then these are the basic check points as I remember them -

• Global Catalogue - make sure the new server has a copy of this
    • FSMO roles - there are 5 of them, they need transfering to the new server
    • DNS - make sure all domain details are replicated to new server before you remove DNS from the old server
    • DHCP - if you use it and its on the going server, you'll need a new DHCP server
    • User Profiles - update user accounts with new locations (Wisesofts BulkAD is good for this)
    • User Home Folders - once copied to new server the user accounts need updating with new locations (again BulkAD will do this)
    • Anti-Virus. Make sure your AV server is re-installed and all clients are pointing here
    • Printer Services - any shared printers on the old server? (Download details: Windows Print Migrator 3.1)

What about group policies ( can they be transfered ) or does little miss use that central policy application thing ?

Also what about folder re direction ( if any were setup to start with ie for my documents, desktop etc )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    What about group policies ( can they be transfered ) or does little miss use that central policy application thing ?
    If you go down the route of keeping the existing domain and try replacing the server then at some point both new and old servers must be on the domain at the same time. When the new server is promoted to a domain controller (DCPROMO) the GPO's and logon scripts (NETLOGON dir) should be automatically copied to the new server.

Once everything else has been transfered to the new server you then run DCPROMO on the old server to demote it from being a DC and then remove it from the network.

If you go down the route of building a new domain (possibly be the better route IMHO) then it may make more sense to rewrite the GPO's and OU structure from scratch rather than copy the old ones across.

In fact, since the old server was based on Winsuite for security it may be best to rewrite the GPO's from scratch anyway. That way you can make sure you fill in the security holes left by removing Winsuite.

11. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

speckytecky (29th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Agree with everything except WINS

There is really no need for it at all, for anything. The single issue I had without it was non SQL FMS failing to find the server on another vlan as it first tried broadcast then wins lookup. A config change soon fixed that, and with sql version it's not an issue. Even keeping it if you have it already (as you suggest) I don't see what it could possibly be doing!

Unless people have some NT4 boxes hiding out there still.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Agree with everything except WINS

There is really no need for it at all, for anything. The single issue I had without it was non SQL FMS failing to find the server on another vlan as it first tried broadcast then wins lookup. A config change soon fixed that, and with sql version it's not an issue. Even keeping it if you have it already (as you suggest) I don't see what it could possibly be doing!

Unless people have some NT4 boxes hiding out there still.
    I've just had to configure wins on my laptop for my home network/domain to access something inside a virtual box on the DC. Really strange seeing as i dont have a wins server where i've pointed it to and the virtual box is running ubuntu. But it worked.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread