+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Checklist? Moving from one server to another in Technical; We had one electrical storm induced surge too many on Friday and despite a lot of protection the primary server ...
    Thank Post

Checklist? Moving from one server to another

We had one electrical storm induced surge too many on Friday and despite a lot of protection the primary server very nearly didn't come back online today so I'm taking the precaution of switching everything to the new server we purchased last year.

Just to note, the primary unit is still accessible at this point in time so I don't have to seize domain roles (thank {deity})

I've got a semi-complete checklist but I wanted to use a little peer review to make sure I wasn't missing anything. So if you could please comment on the following and add in anything you think I may have missed.

1. Use Robocopy to create mirrors of all key mapped directories & data (flags: /E /SEC /COPYALL /V /NP / LOG+:[log_path] /ZB /R:10 /W:30
    2. Transfer domain/server roles to new server (ref: )
    3. Install WSUS on new server & update related GPO setting for server to contact
    4. Update all login & startup scripts to point to new server
    5. Full backup of the old server to external HD
    6. Add/Transfer DHCP and DNS rules and data. Update DHCP server settings to give new gateway IP
    7. Plug secondary NIC to external router, alter IP to county subnet, and transfer Routing Gateway to new server
      • Simplify the process of deployments and moves for future (ie: use DFS)
      • Setup DFS folders using only the shares newly transferred to the new server.
      • Use the new DFS shares for GPO deployments and all login scripts, etc...
      • Recreate existing shares
      • !Don't forget any roaming/mandatory profile locations!
    8. Test applications (eg: Sherston) that were installed on old server and reinstall on new DFS shares if required
    9. Update backup policy
    10. Test Harddrives on old server (replace as required)
    11. Upgrade both servers to Server 2003 R2
    12. Setup DFS on both servers.
    13. Install printers on new server, modify startup/login scripts as required, remove printers from old server

Things I don't have to worry about
    1. Avast AV controller (already on new)
    Last edited by contink; 6th July 2009 at 02:30 PM.

2. 2 Thanks to contink:

speckytecky (6th July 2009), Sylv3r (6th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    No comment to make except 'thanks' - I've got this task as well, and whilst I'm not doing it on my own, a checklist can be nothing but useful!

Thank Post
    NP Witch... I'm waiting for the font of all knowledge (aka Synack) to comment and tell me I'm madder than a bag of hammers because of X but hopefully it's all covered..

Looks like a couple of days work due over the Summer holidays though... Ah well, the wife wants to go looking for places to live closer this way anyway so 2 birds with a hefty rock I'm thinking.

Thank Post
    Forgot to add
    • Move hosted printers

Thank Post
    I'd turn off any offline folders you have on exisiting clients, and then enable them again once the new drives are mapped to stop them thinking they are always offline. Has caused a few problems for us in the past.

Steve

7. Thanks to steveg from:

contink (7th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    NP Witch... I'm waiting for the font of all knowledge (aka Synack) to comment and tell me I'm madder than a bag of hammers because of X but hopefully it's all covered..

You flatter me - I approve , your list looks good and comprehensive to me. A few things I would watch for and do are:
    • Shortcuts on redirected and manditory desktops, these can cause hassles especially if they are created at runtime with a script (2h of my life I will never get back )
    • Make doublly sure that all of the data has replicated from the old AD server to the new one before demoting it and also unauthorize the old DHCP server propperly to save having to clean it up later.
    • With DFS unless you are doing mirroring you should only need one DFS root on the new server. Infact if you have Windows standard you can only have one AD integrated DFS root on the whole domain without a patch.
    • If you have pushed out any software via GP from the old server on a share you should remove the software in GP - allowing existing users to keep it - and then re-add it from the new DFS location. This will, on anything above a Win 2000 SP4 box just perform a quick repair install rather than the whole thing again and will prevent damaged programs from the repair prompt of everlasting death from occouring if one of the apps goes wrong on a machine.
    • Depending on the number of clients using offline files - if AD pushed it could be a good idea to reset the offline files cache on all of the client computers to clean up the resulting mess which will occour (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738).
    • If you use the netsh method for moving the DHCP you should not need to redo all of the reservations - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...aspx#BKMK_2003 - also make sure that you have taken into account any staticly assigned ip addresses that may include a default gateway.
    • With the printers I would make sure that you have all of the latest drivers installed on the old server then use the print migrator ( Download details: Windows Print Migrator 3.1 ) to migrate the whole bunch in one go with all settings etc.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 7th July 2009 at 05:59 AM.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

contink (7th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You flatter me - I approve
    Thought you might
    your list looks good and comprehensive to me. A few things I would watch for and do are:
    • Shortcuts on redirected and manditory desktops, these can cause hassles especially if they are created at runtime with a script (2h of my life I will never get back )
    • Make doublly sure that all of the data has replicated from the old AD server to the new one before demoting it and also unauthorize the old DHCP server propperly to save having to clean it up later.
    • With DFS unless you are doing mirroring you should only need one DFS root on the new server. Infact if you have Windows standard you can only have one AD integrated DFS root on the whole domain without a patch.
    • If you have pushed out any software via GP from the old server on a share you should remove the software in GP - allowing existing users to keep it - and then re-add it from the new DFS location. This will, on anything above a Win 2000 SP4 box just perform a quick repair install rather than the whole thing again and will prevent damaged programs from the repair prompt of everlasting death from occouring if one of the apps goes wrong on a machine.
    • Depending on the number of clients using offline files - if AD pushed it could be a good idea to reset the offline files cache on all of the client computers to clean up the resulting mess which will occour (How to re-initialize the offline files cache and database).
    • If you use the netsh method for moving the DHCP you should not need to redo all of the reservations - Section B: Migrate scopes and settings to the Management Server - also make sure that you have taken into account any staticly assigned ip addresses that may include a default gateway.
    • With the printers I would make sure that you have all of the latest drivers installed on the old server then use the print migrator ( Download details: Windows Print Migrator 3.1 ) to migrate the whole bunch in one go with all settings etc.
    Thanks for those... I had one or two in my list internally but it's definitely useful to have written down in full...

I think I'll compile a PDF version of the whole thing when I'm done... I imagine it'd be quite useful..

Cheers all...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread