+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Java 6 Update 14 in Technical; Yes I'll do that. No didn't customize in any way. Thanks for all your help....

Thank Post
    Yes I'll do that. No didn't customize in any way. Thanks for all your help.

Thank Post
    No worries fella, shall see if we can't kick it into touch

Thank Post
    Might not help but is it waiting for user input? Like a "Do you want to uninstall previous versions" or "Do you want a Yahoo toolbar". Sorry if you've already sorted those in the .msi just a thought.

I've had problems with U14 making web sites hang I'm thinking that it might be waiting for something but haven't yet worked out what.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torry_loon View Post
    Do you stop the 'Java Quick Starter' service before upgrading Java? Installation fails if it is still running.
    This.

Error: 25099 during Java installation

The javaqs.exe file is in the Windows\system32 folder, so when a new version installs, it needs to be overwritten, unlike many of the Java files which can be installed side by side. If the service is running, it can't overwrite and the installer hangs. My experience is that when upgrading from 11 or 12, the service doesn't stop automatically during a GPO install and the installer throws a modal message box that you have to click on to dismiss... only you can't because message boxes don't appear during GPO deployment. In short, Sun's Java MSI not only has flawed logic but doesn't even conform to Windows Installer specification. I've even seen the service left behind if you uninstall the previous Java version first.

I think this is fixed from U13 onwards. My method for dealing with hung installs was to use pskill to remotely terminate javaqs.exe and then remotely delete the file. On the next reboot the U13 installer should run without incident.

5. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

kmount (5th July 2009), leco (5th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This.
    <snip>
    The javaqs.exe file is in the Windows\system32 folder, so when a new version installs, it needs to be overwritten, unlike many of the Java files which can be installed side by side. If the service is running, it can't overwrite and the installer hangs. My experience is that when upgrading from 11 or 12, the service doesn't stop automatically during a GPO install and the installer throws a modal message box that you have to click on to dismiss... only you can't because message boxes don't appear during GPO deployment. In short, Sun's Java MSI not only has flawed logic but doesn't even conform to Windows Installer specification. I've even seen the service left behind if you uninstall the previous Java version first.

I think this is fixed from U13 onwards. My method for dealing with hung installs was to use pskill to remotely terminate javaqs.exe and then remotely delete the file. On the next reboot the U13 installer should run without incident.
    Good find, didn't know about that, cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,206 Posts
    There shouldn't be any problems installing Java 6 Update 14 over any other version. It'll just list both in Add/Remove Programs, but of course IE for example will use the latest files of Java.

Checking the event logs on the machines should give a clue as to why it's hanging. I'm not sure why it's happening as when I install it manually it has worked first time everytime. It could be permissions related on the distribution share, but I would have to agree, it's most likely a service or component on the workstation which is causing the installer to hang.

Thank Post
    Might it be worth having a startup script that checks for the service that stops it and changes it to manual?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Might it be worth having a startup script that checks for the service that stops it and changes it to manual?
    Good idea, and you don't even need a script; you can set it to Manual startup in Group Policy under Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > System Services.

10. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

kearton (19th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Didn't have much time on site to try this but sent out update 14 to a test station which had update 12 - hung. Uninstalled java completely from another test station and update 14 installed. I think Angry Technician is right regarding the service. Thanks again everyone.

Thank Post
    I wish I'd seen this thread before yesterday! I removed Java 6 Update 11 from GP on Thursday night and added Java 6 Update 16. When all the Curriculum PCs turned on approx 8am yesterday they basically locked up trying to uninstall. Many of the slower PCs took nearly 2 hours to "timeout/fail" and get to the login screen, and even then they ran incredibly slow, and if the PC was rebooted the whole saga began again. After the JavaQuickStarterService was disabled (i ran a recursive script using sc.exe to disable it on every PC) and the PCs rebooted they uninstalled the old, installed the new, and worked perfectly normally. Methinks I'll set it to manual in GP as per AngryTech's post in case future versions have the same bug...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Good idea, and you don't even need a script; you can set it to Manual startup in Group Policy under Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > System Services.
    Forgotten all about this until today when everything locked up everyone else found.

Couple of things to add that will probably prove invaluable to make this all work.

You can't incorporate this GPO setting in the same GPO or a later GPO as the installation is attempted BEFORE the deployment begins so it never happens.

Much better to put a GPO with this setting at a higher priority in the GPO chain so it changes the service to manual or disabled so that the service isn't running once the deployment part runs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Forgotten all about this until today when everything locked up everyone else found.

Couple of things to add that will probably prove invaluable to make this all work.

You can't incorporate this GPO setting in the same GPO or a later GPO as the installation is attempted BEFORE the deployment begins so it never happens.

Much better to put a GPO with this setting at a higher priority in the GPO chain so it changes the service to manual or disabled so that the service isn't running once the deployment part runs.
    iv not had an issue putting it on the same gpo as the deploy thats how ive always done it in the past BUT iirc ive always set that then waited a week or so before deploying the new version

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12