+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Local account on Server 2003 in Technical; All for the sake of buying a PC to do the job instead (a couple of hundred quid). or even ...
    Thank Post
    All for the sake of buying a PC to do the job instead (a couple of hundred quid).
    or even a cast off from a local secondary would probably do the job.

Thank Post
    It's not just the server issue, it's a space issue as well. There isn't physical space to put another PC in(old victorian building). Besides, there is plenty of money for school PCs/laptop; office had to work long and hard to get a new pC and that only happened when an important update failed because it wouldn't run on Win 2000. Also, the school is moving to purpose built one in 2010 so the idea is spend as little as pos since it's left behind!

Thank Post
    or even a cast off from a local secondary would probably do the job.
    Actually, the local secondary seems to be using cast-off themselves! In this case, when we move they'll probably be glad of our cast-offs! (just not the office one...)

Thank Post
    I've been to see another primary i the area and their server isn't connected to a monitor so the appeal to use it as an extra PC is diminished. I wish!

Mind you it IS connected to IWB so potentially a whole class could play with the server at the same time...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mind you it IS connected to IWB so potentially a whole class could play with the server at the same time...
    Seriously worrying! Joke aside if it all goes wrong the Technician won't have a fun time restoring the damage. I am really surprised schools are still using servers as a workstation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    In one of my schools, the finance officer uses the server as her machine, and in my old school the admin officer did.
    I tend to work on the server in one school as there is no space for either a computer for me or a place where I can use a pc. In the other I have a PC and remote into the server when necessary.

Thank Post
    I've settled in now with the admin lady: add office to server logon locally for facility and their own docs; everyone else will have a limited account so they can use Word/internet etc.

It will probably discouraged them from using it so often if it doesn't have all the bits and bobs their laptops have

Now where was I: Oh yes, changing the administrator password...

I guess this is a bit of a wakeup call to all you secondary techs, wellcome to Primary world!!!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help!

The ofiice staff now don't want their docs when they log onto the server as office because HORROR! we don't have MS Office installed on the server and they are worried about using the same docs in open office..

OH, and the fallout has begun already - one teacher aproached me this morning - I can't log on to my laptop as an administrator, why?...explaining why..response: Oh, I am entitled to it, so please just speak to the headmistress for me(I'm sure she'll ok it) and give me the admin password.

I do not know what this teacher does to computers but they do not work in her presence. She only needs the admin password because after 2 years of trying to connect to internet at home she had somone out who 'fixed' it but the internet only works when she's logged on as an admin. Needles to say I've not obliged, the head isn't here and I'm making lovely enemies - just before I leave

This is after I've dug up this lovely document from the council about the Computer Misuse act(not using user ids/password that don't belong to you etc.) and displayed it prominently on my desk!

Don't you feel sometimes this a thankless task...

Thank Post
    And she didn't think to bring the laptop in for me to have a look at, aparently I can troubleshoot it over the phone...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zdenka View Post
    And she didn't think to bring the laptop in for me to have a look at, aparently I can troubleshoot it over the phone...
    Get a recording of an old modem, ask her to hold the phone up to the laptop and play the recording on a loop.

See how long you can get her to stand there holding the phone up to her laptop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess this is a bit of a wakeup call to all you secondary techs, wellcome to Primary world!!!
    Well I work in Primary and haven't seen this kind of setup, even in small schools.
    Have you tried to convince the SMT of how bad this practise is?

Thank Post
    I am having words right now! Although the teachers will probably find the way of getting hold of the admin password, after all, I have to leave it documented somewhere!

And I did set up a lovely limited account with just internet and open office so we shall see if anyone will actually use it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am having words right now! Although the teachers will probably find the way of getting hold of the admin password, after all, I have to leave it documented somewhere!

And I did set up a lovely limited account with just internet and open office so we shall see if anyone will actually use it.
    Have you sat down the the head and pointed out the schools, and also her responsibilities? ie. limiting access (both physical and electronic) to the server?

Pointing out the fact that if it were to go wrong, *she* would be in trouble, not you, not the teachers, her - and point out the fines she could face...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Have you sat down the the head and pointed out the schools, and also her responsibilities? ie. limiting access (both physical and electronic) to the server?

Pointing out the fact that if it were to go wrong, *she* would be in trouble, not you, not the teachers, her - and point out the fines she could face...
    Really good point - get hold of some of the fines and punishments you can face under the Data Protection Act, might change her mind?

Thank Post

I will be doing that!.. I would now if she was here!

Thanks guys - I'm off for a lovely weekend now!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast