+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, WSUS and XPSP3 in Technical; Firstly I'd like to say that I've contemplated putting this in "behind the red door" but if I cut out ...

Thank Post

WSUS and XPSP3

Firstly I'd like to say that I've contemplated putting this in "behind the red door" but if I cut out the ranting I suppose it can go here....

Have WSUS configured to do the following:
    Download updates and install according to the schedule I tell it
    Don't install updates immediately if they don't require a rest (wait until scheduled install)
    Don't restet computer after scheduled install (wait until the next time a user re-sets the machine)

This seems to work OK appart from for XPSP3 which just installs as and when the computer notices it on the server and then just re-sets the machine (apparently without warning though I am not 100% on this I am working on what people have said). Why? Regardless of the warning message I can't work out why it seems to be ignoring the setting when it come to XPSP3.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Funny you should mention this.

We have a few vista machines at work all with the same WSUS group policy. There is one machine that does what you said and reboots without notice. To make it worse its my desktop and its an utter pain.

Thank Post
    We get this a lot with WSUS - the PCs rebooting with no advance warning. And this is on PCs running Vista.
    We have the "Dont restart after install" GP set as well
    I'm getting my head bitten off cos of pupils losing work cos of auto-reboots that should not be happening...

I did hear that some updates from MS will force the PC to reboot, regardless of what GP's are in place - and is the excuse I use when it happens!

Thank Post
    There's a setting you can make so that SP3 isn't pushed out via WSUS.

And then also, you can not authorise it in the WSUS console, which is what I did, as I didn't want SP3 downloading to each machine, and killing off my network (yes I know they use BITS, but I don't really trust it). It just means you have to do it manually, or at a scheduled time, we use Drivmeimage and regularly update the images, I think we pushed out SP3 onto the last build, and new machines we use the Windows XP CD with SP3 preloaded.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's a setting you can make so that SP3 isn't pushed out via WSUS.
    Just decline the update in WSUS Console

Thank Post
    Yeah, but this Download details: Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit is what I meant. The problem is, according to the DOcs, this will only work upto May 2009, so after that.. it'll just install anyway.. so you may be too late.

There's lots of Toolkits to stop Microsoft from auto installing their own stuff onto our machines. Like http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en for IE v8
    Last edited by User3204; 20th June 2009 at 10:33 PM.

Thank Post
    The probelm is that I don't really want to decline the update... considered it...
    Currently I'm going round all the PC's and maunaully updating them, XP SP3, Office XP2 so the big time cunsuming ones are installed and then manually running windows update to get everything almost upto date. WSUS then pick up what I've missed and keeps the machines up to date.

this is for two reaseons, some machines were failing due to lack of disk space and needed manualy attention and this XP SP3 issue.

However If I miss any, or anyone's got a laptop that dosen't connect to the network that often or I don't get chance to update I need the Service pack allocated to cover me.

If GATT is correct and some updates will ignore the settings what really is useless! MS!

Thank Post
    Found this on MS Tech Support Blog Site.
    It Might help...

You edit the registry in XP by going to Start/Run and entering regedit

In Vista, enter regedit in the search box and then right click regedit.exe that appears above and select Run as administrator.

Expand the branches to locate the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU\
    Set the DWord Value for NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers to 1

The other option:

In XP, Click Start -> Run

Enter “gpedit.msc” without the quotes

In Vista, enter gpedit.msc in the search box and right click gpedit.msc in the list that appears and select Run ad Administrator.

Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative

Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

Here there are a few options:

Enable Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations
    Change the settings on No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation (Default is 10 minutes)
    Reboot to take effect or type in "gpupdate /force" in the run line or at a command prompt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread