+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Folder Redirection - Not working apparently at random in Technical; Hi We've just setup a new server at our school, the rest of the network has stayed exactly the same ...

Thank Post

Folder Redirection - Not working apparently at random

Hi
    We've just setup a new server at our school, the rest of the network has stayed exactly the same but the DC(domain contoller) has had a new install of windows 2003 std. . I've rebuilt the active directory and group policies from fresh, all done properly (no cut corners). I've set up folder redirection with the advanced setting where by it is controlled by the groups, which affects where it redirects their documents to.

All appeared to be working fine until staff tried logging into different machines (i.e not their everyday one). My documents appears blank. If I check the path on the blank my documents folders it's still looking at the c:\ as aposed to the correct shared folder path on the server. Appears to be happening randomly on different machines and different users, there seems to be no pattern. On a machine that successfully redirected one staff's my docs, when logged in as another staff it may not.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi

I am guessing here but things to try are.

Go to the client machine and try pinging the server. I have had switches go potty in the past and needed a reboot. You might also have a dns problem.

Now check the share and ntfs permission on the shares and folders are correct.

Check the path to the folder for staff in the gpo is correct and the gpo settings are correct.

On the servers if you have more than one check that replication is happening and upto date on the domian controllers. Also try netdiag and dcdiag on the servers.

On the client machine try a gppudate /force /boot on xp machines.

Lastly try deleting the profile of a test user and see if its a corrupt profile on the client.

Just a few ideas.

Richard

Thank Post
    Also, make sure your clients are synchronising the time with your server. GPO's sometimes don't always apply properly if they're out by a bit.

Thank Post
    any error messages in the event viewer?

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies everyone, tried all of the above with no joy (apart from the client profile deletion which I'll give a shot tomorrow)
    The event viewer has some errors but I'll have to post them when I get back to work tomorrow. As a temporary fix I've been right clicking my documents for users and entering the correct path which gets the heat off for a bit.
    Doing a group policy results for the client and a logon also displays an issue with group policy but it seems to point towards permissions if I recall correctly but as users appear to work sometimes and not at others I'm thinking it's safe to rule permissions out as they would stay consistent.
    cheers again for the posts.

Thank Post

Talking

Hi,

I was having profile problems so i adderssed it at the reg end and it worked you will need to:

Loading ntuser.man file

The file ntuser.man located within the main profile folder contains all of the windows settings for a user. It can be edited using regedit.

Click > Start > Run and type “regedit”

Select HKEY_Local_Machine

Click > File > Load hive , and select the location of ntuser.man.

Name the key “ntuser” and click ok. The hive is now loaded into regedit.

Within the ntuser file there will be entries that relate to a specific user, the majority of these are located in:

Ntuser > software > Microsoft > windows > currentversion > explorer > shellfolders

The string for “AppData” is an example of this. The path:
    “C:\Documents and settings\john doe\Application Data” will only work for the user john doe. In order to change this to work for all users the user name needs to be replaced with %USERNAME%.

Make this change for all instances of the username, you can search for them and replace.

One thing that i am going to try is creating a user called %USERNAME% so the setting are in there already, so no need to change any thing just create the profile and push it out to all uaers (not tried it yet).

Hope that make senes i'm in a bit of a rush.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread