Hi All,

I'm about to perform total IP Addressing reformation from my current class B (1.2.3.0-255) into class A (10.x.x.x), I've got two DNS Server:

Server A - 1st DNS + DHCP
Server B - 2nd DNS

the current situation is:
a client workstation is named uniquely then given A record for each IP address assigned to them.
a server is given A record for each IP address and also CNAME record if necessary.

Example:

* Workstation name: MyLaptop
* A record: MyLaptop.domain.com
* IP: 1.2.3.100

now I'd like to be creative for easy maintenance and identifying a network device for the future by doing the following changes:

a client workstation is named uniquely in the A record for each IP address assigned to them.
a server is given A record for each IP address and also CNAME record if necessary.

Example:

* Workstation name: MyLaptop
* A record: 100-office1.domain.com
* CNAME: MyLaptop.domain.com
* IP: 1.2.3.100

is there any way to make the company wide changes without affecting the Active Directory information ?

I was thinking of going through one by one on the DNS entry in the console to make the changes but this is will be cumbersome.

The reason is of course that I'm using publicly routable address currently in my two office location.

I wonder if this is a good way in managing the Windows AD domain by assigning a PC descriptive A record (LSB_of_the_IP_address.officelocation.domain.com) and then creating CNAME which is the same as the current machine name.

What I'm also worrying about is that i have to rename all of the machine company wide to become LSB_of_the_IP_address.officelocation.domain.com and then manually assigning CNAME on to it.

any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.