+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Backup Exec Credential Error in Technical; Hi all, I have a mysterious Backup Exec (11d build 7170) problem that I'm hoping you can shed some light ...
    Thank Post

Backup Exec Credential Error

Hi all,

I have a mysterious Backup Exec (11d build 7170) problem that I'm hoping you can shed some light on.

We have three working instances of BE covering the following scenario:

Server A backs up Server A, B & C to its own tape drive
    Server D backs up Server D, E, F & G to its own tape drive
    Server H backs up server A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H to tape loader (fail safe full backup)

Until this week this has worked well but now server H fails saying that the credentials to back up server D are not valid. It backs up everything else.

I've tested the credentials and I get a 'succeeded' message to everything. Backup Exec remote agent is running and is pointing at the correct server(s) and none of the passwords that this system uses have changed at all.

Because server D has 'full' backup exec installed I cannot easily re-install the remote agent to see if it's failed.

The only thing that has changed recently is some tweaking of the exceptions list to stop vob/mp3/mp4 files etc. from being backed up from server D but the backup worked fine for over a week after those changes were made.

I've tried changing the credentials to that of the domain administrator with no success and have spent all morning trying to find solutions on the Symantec website but they only suggest checking that the passwords are correct.

Hope someone can help

HBJB

Thank Post
    Well - I got it sorted so I'll post here in case anyone else has a similar error.

It turns out that my excludes contained a rather funky line or two that BE didn't like (although it took a while for it to stop working). In desperation I removed the excludes and the job started to work again.

Now to my next problem - how to get the excludes working for certain files and folders on only one server (I don't want a blanket exclude just on one remote server).

my lines went like this:

\\server.domain.local\d:\home\*\**\recycler
    \\server.domain.local\d:\home\*\**\*.mp4

hoping it would stop the backup of the recycler folders and certain file types which are under d:\home\students\user on the server in question. This apparently isn't liked by Backup Exec. I can set a blanket block which does work (\\*\*\**\ as the path) but this covers all servers and I only want it to affect one.

Any pointers?

HBJB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread