+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Redirected Start Menu in Technical; Hi Guys. I have a quick question Im using the standard Xp start menu that is redirected to allow only ...
    Thank Post

Redirected Start Menu

Hi Guys.

I have a quick question

Im using the standard Xp start menu that is redirected to allow only the programs the school wants for the kids to use.

What i want to do is have certain shortcuts show in the most used area underneath internet and email. I have seen this done elsewhere but dont have a clue how to do this.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetooth View Post
    Hi Guys.

I have a quick question

Im using the standard Xp start menu that is redirected to allow only the programs the school wants for the kids to use.

What i want to do is have certain shortcuts show in the most used area underneath internet and email. I have seen this done elsewhere but dont have a clue how to do this.

Thanks in advance
    Most used area?

Which area do you mean exactly?

Do you mean quick-launch? (The small bar that's usually on the right of the start button)
    Do you mean the 'main' start menu - where you click 'start' and you have Windows Update on it?
    Do you mean the 'programs' subfolder on the start menu?

In any case... assuming you want one of those 3... let me try to help you

1) Quick Launch

To place icons here, you should ensure they are shortcuts (rather than real documents) and they need to be copied into the users' profile into this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

As I said above, ensure these are shortcuts, you should replace <UserName> with the actual user name of whom you'd like to have the shortcuts. If you use a global profile, then as long as you put the icons into the 'Quick Launch' folder (as above) then it should all work.

2) Main Start Menu

As above, copy the shortcuts into this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Start Menu

If you are using the All Users start menu also, copy them into that one - but ONLY copy them into the user start menu OR the all users start menu, if you copy both, then your end user will have 2 sets of icons.

3) Programs Subfolder

As #2 - except change the path to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Start Menu\Programs

I'm not sure if this is really what you want, I suggest you get an icon (that loads word or something harmless) and try it out yourself so you can see what works for you.

If however this isn't what you want, reply to this thread and we'll try to help you better

Az

Thank Post
    Lol, thanks but thats not what im after.

Right. heres the long winded explanation.

I have a redirected start menu stored on \\gateway\netlogon\startmenu\ underneath there is a folder called programs which is obviously where all the shortcuts and stuff are located.

Now on the xp start menu there is an area underneath the internet and email shortcuts where the personalized menu usually is, however i have disabled that because i want to provide my own set of shortcuts for quick access.

So basically i want to know how to do the above and where i should store the shortcuts for them to appear in that area/what to enable etc

Tanks for your attempt though =-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Do you mean the bit on the left where the most frequently accessed programmes are located? (Above 'All Programs')

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Do you mean the bit on the left where the most frequently accessed programmes are located? (Above 'All Programs')
    Exactly that

Thank Post
    Look here Registry User Assist key - how to get complete info - Vista Forums

I wouldn't bother, just hide the damn thing. I have checked on my machine and I have three subkeys off where it says, with apparent gibberish in all three.

This also works for XP, BTW, which is what I used to check on.

---- Additional ----

Go here http://www.accessdata.com/downloads/...y%209-8-08.pdf read the document, actually this whole site looks like it could be really quite useful http:///www.accessdata.com/ for other things.

It will give you information on what is in there, and how it is stored.
    Last edited by User3204; 20th May 2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Updated as I googled

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread