+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Server information in Technical; Hello all I have been asked to take on a project in our Data center that has about 500 servers ...

Thank Post

Server information

Hello all
    I have been asked to take on a project in our Data center that has about 500 servers mixed Blade,VM and HP Pizza Box. Most are Windows 2003 and Netware. We have a bunch of schools who connect to the servers for School management and other services.
    I have not done much server management and have asked to connect to all the Windows machines and run something like belarc that will save a bunch of info. Check the event logs for any major issues. make sure the IP address and names are still correct and all patches were up to date ( Most get from a wsus server)
    Is this possible with 1 piece of software. I was going to get help but the person training me is not available for a few weeks and I would like to get started. Any other things I should be looking and keeping track of. We have all the passwords and usernames as well as up to date AV on all the boxes.
    Any recommendations for decent software to manage software licenses. Open source is always a plus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not open source but it would probably do the job quite well Microsoft System Center: Dynamic Data Centers

you could also do it in a slightly less automated way with
    http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/
    and
    http://www.spiceworks.com/home/free.php
    Last edited by SYNACK; 28th April 2009 at 08:17 AM.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

keogk (28th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keogk View Post
    Hello all
    I have been asked to take on a project in our Data center that has about 500 servers mixed Blade,VM and HP Pizza Box. Most are Windows 2003 and Netware. We have a bunch of schools who connect to the servers for School management and other services.
    I have not done much server management and have asked to connect to all the Windows machines and run something like belarc that will save a bunch of info. Check the event logs for any major issues. make sure the IP address and names are still correct and all patches were up to date ( Most get from a wsus server)
    Is this possible with 1 piece of software. I was going to get help but the person training me is not available for a few weeks and I would like to get started. Any other things I should be looking and keeping track of. We have all the passwords and usernames as well as up to date AV on all the boxes.
    Any recommendations for decent software to manage software licenses. Open source is always a plus.
    Not open source, but you might want to take a look at IBM's Tivoli License Compliance Manager.
    IBM - Tivoli License Compliance Manager - Software

Let me know if you have any questions.

5. Thanks to sunnyc_IBM from:

keogk (21st October 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread