+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Quick RIS Question... in Technical; We have a RIS server that was setup by one of the school technicians. It has an image in there ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quick RIS Question...

We have a RIS server that was setup by one of the school technicians. It has an image in there and it works.

I have a feeling it had been upgraded and is now WDS. It has always worked and there have never been any problem with it.

Using RyanVM's Integrator and some other tools I have now made a new slipstreamed CD for Windows XP. IE7, WMP11 and the .net stuff is all in there. What I now need to know is how to get this new CD image into RIS. Can anyone advise in easy steps for me? Can you have two different XP images available through the 'Custom Install'?

The techie wrote some basic instructions on how to set things up - but the but on getting XP over to the server is not there.

A quick search on Google reveals a lot to read - but this stood out:

Start the RIS set-up to create the initial CD-based image

• Click Start | Run
    • Type “risetup” and click OK.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions when the RIS set-up wizard starts. You will be prompted to provide information to the following:
    RIS folder location:

Specify the NTFS partition and folder on the RIS server where you want to install the supporting files and RIS images.

Initial settings:

Specify how the RIS server will respond to clients requests:

• Default is “does not respond to client requests”.
    • Respond to all client requests
    • Respond only to requests from pre-staged computer accounts
    RIS source files location:

Specify the location of the WinXP Pro source files that will be user to create the initial CD-based image.

Windows installation image folder name:

Specify the folder within the RIS installation folder where the initial CD-based imaged is created.

Description and help text:

Specify the description for the initial CD-base image.
    We use the 'Custom Install' part of RIS so we can name the stations as we build them.

Any advice appreciated,

Gareth
    Last edited by garethedmondson; 17th April 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Thank Post
    In the REMINST share on the server you'll find the tools for capturing the image, which you just run from on your reference PC. Not having used it in years, though, I don't remember exactly where on the share they are (but the documentation is pretty good).

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

garethedmondson (20th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    In the REMINST share on the server you'll find the tools for capturing the image, which you just run from on your reference PC. Not having used it in years, though, I don't remember exactly where on the share they are (but the documentation is pretty good).
    The problem with this is that I want to create Legacy Images from the CD media. REMINST doesn't exists in Windows Deployment Services - from what I can see. Only RIPPrep - I've never used that.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    The problem with this is that I want to create Legacy Images from the CD media. REMINST doesn't exists in Windows Deployment Services - from what I can see. Only RIPPrep - I've never used that.

Riprep is the tool you want.

Creating an installation image with RIPrep

Edit: Sorry, I can't read. You want the Windows Deployment Services Legacy tool from Admin tools on the server, which will walk you through the process.

6. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Riprep is the tool you want.

Creating an installation image with RIPrep

Edit: Sorry, I can't read. You want the Windows Deployment Services Legacy tool from Admin tools on the server, which will walk you through the process.
    Hi PM,

Thanks for that. It is there but when I try and run it I get the following message box:

Unsupported Server Operation Mode
    This utility can only run on a Windows Deployment Services server that is not yet configured or is running in Legacy or Mixed operation modes.
    Ok

I always thought our RIS box was running in Legacy mode - hence why we could use CD based installation media to create our install.

What operation mode is it running in now? Can I move it back?

GJE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Found a sort of reply here: Windows Server 2003 SP2 WDS Operation Mode question

Run WDSUTIL /uninitialize-server.

This "de-configures" your server. Then run RISETUP and add an image to put WDS into Legacy mode, then re-initialize with WDSUTIL or the WDS MMC to get to Mixed mode.
    A bit worried about breaking everything. Time to take backup, but I need it running now :-( A quick search on our RIS/WDS server shows that RISetup does not exist - (Doh - have found it in C:\Windows\System32 on the server - I'll assume this is it).

GJE
    Last edited by garethedmondson; 20th April 2009 at 05:02 PM.

Thank Post
    You're in native mode, then (and this is an area I don't go very often, so the usual disclaimers etc). If you reconfigure it be sure you know what was set up before, because I don't remember what gets reset if you do. You probably want to configure mixed mode.

The bit that worries me is this: I didn't know the legacy tool showed up when in native mode, so use the properties of the server in the WDS to check first (and I think you can reconfigure it from in there as well).

10. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK - to use WDS in Legacy or Mixed mode RIS needs to be installed first. This means installing a Windows 2003 Server Pre-SP2, install RIS then upgrade to SP2 installing WDS in the processes.

If SP2/WDS has been installed without RIS already being present on the system you cannot run Legacy or Mixed mode WDS. You cannot install the RIS components for Legacy/Mixed mode after either SP2 or WDS have been installed.

12. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

garethedmondson (21st April 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    AFAIK - to use WDS in Legacy or Mixed mode RIS needs to be installed first. This means installing a Windows 2003 Server Pre-SP2, install RIS then upgrade to SP2 installing WDS in the processes.

If SP2/WDS has been installed without RIS already being present on the system you cannot run Legacy or Mixed mode WDS. You cannot install the RIS components for Legacy/Mixed mode after either SP2 or WDS have been installed.
    Hi - yes the server was originally running RIS and was updated. I'm gutted if we cannot go back to Legacy CD images. I feel this is better for us than running specific machine images. Although I might try them LOL. We have so many different types of spec here from times gone by. Only now we are starting to get standards.

The CD based installation and then the drivers copying over works great for us. This is why I want to put in my new slipstreamed CD.

GJE

Thank Post
    Autoimage, RyanVM, and DriverPacks.net > Portal > News will do everything for you.
    RogueSpear's Forums • Index page

i believe there is a way of getting legacy working after but im not sure.

15. Thanks to j17sparky from:

tmcd35 (21st April 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Found a sort of reply here: Windows Server 2003 SP2 WDS Operation Mode question

A bit worried about breaking everything. Time to take backup, but I need it running now :-( A quick search on our RIS/WDS server shows that RISetup does not exist - (Doh - have found it in C:\Windows\System32 on the server - I'll assume this is it).

GJE
    Just to confirm that this command does work and sends your WDS back a step. You can then add Legacy cd copies. You then have to re-initialise the server.

Our setup now offers us two installation XP options. However the second one doesn't work as it tells me the drivers are not there for booting (yet it worked on the original images).

So I'm now trying to work out where the boot NIC drivers are stored. Shame they are not central.

GJE

Thank Post
    Just to confirm that this command does work and sends your WDS back a step. You can then add Legacy cd copies. You then have to re-initialise the server.

Our setup now offers us two installation XP options. However the second one doesn't work as it tells me the drivers are not there for booting (yet it worked on the original images).

So I'm now trying to work out where the boot NIC drivers are stored. Shame they are not central.

GJE
    They are stored in each image, stupid i know. Go on the autoimage/roguespears forum and look for the NIC driver pack, since it was last updated (2007 iirc) it hasnt let me down yet. Pop these in your "autoimage\NIC_Drivers" folder.

For autoimage basically all you do is;

Download the driverpacks and the DPs_base.exe.
    Run dps_base.exe selecting all the drivers you need (mass storage for text... is a good one as it will sort any problems with sata/raid/ahci being detected). Save the config

Open autoimage, select RIS, point it at your clean XP RIS image, and add your unattended setup .SIF file (made by setupmgr.exe from the Windows resource kit), and tick "add nic drivers"
    Select the driverpacks config (method 1 when using RIS, method 2 for a CD), RyanVM, any silent installers and anything else you want to intergrate.
    Click go and it will spit out a fully up to date XP image.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 21st April 2009 at 09:55 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread